“Humility is perhaps one with Simplicity, and does not allow us to think of ourselves at all, ill or well. That is why a child is humble. The thought of self does not come to him at all; when it does, he falls from his child estate and becomes what we call self-conscious.”—Charlotte Mason
Charlotte Mason (1842–1923) was 100 years ahead of her time in developing an educational philosophy that stressed bringing broad and stimulating education to a child in a noncompetitive, Biblically-based way. Her timeless, practical insights and her emphasis on the responsibility of the home have made her a founding influence in the homeschooling movement.
Ourselves encourages growth through improving character and conscience. Written for young people, it is divided into two books and gives vital guidance for self-knowledge and self-direction. Your older student will
- learn about himself as he explores the inner workings of the Kingdom of Mansoul;
- receive wise counsel regarding his body, mind, and heart;
- gain new understanding of his conscience and how it works;
- discover how to make good choices with his will;
- be encouraged to grow in his faith and knowledge of God.
“Teachers owe much to Charlotte Mason’s deep insight into child psychology and to the new principles in character building and mind training which she advocated. The gratitude of [those] who have profited by her counsel will be her enduring memorial.”—Elizabeth R., Her Majesty the Queen Mother of England
Now you can read Charlotte Mason’s original writings with confidence. This study edition of the Original Home Schooling Series presents
- Authorized page replicas of the complete text as originally published, so you can be sure every word is authentic and accurate;
- Keeps the original page numbers, so you can easily look up favorite quotations and cited references—great for study groups;
- Enlarged text (28% larger), meticulously restored for ease of reading;
- Wide margins for note-taking, so you have plenty of room to document your growth as you study her rich and practical ideas;
- 8.5″ x 11″ page size, so your book will lie open more easily.
Purchase the printed copy and you also receive two e-book formats free: the wide-margin study edition and an edition without the notes column for easier reading on your e-reader device. Both formats are also included with the e-book purchase.
Enjoy all of the authorized volumes, with accurate replicas of the original pages, available from Simply Charlotte Mason.
Volume 1: Home Education
Volume 2: Parents and Children
Volume 3: School Education
Volume 4: Ourselves
Volume 5: Formation of Character
Volume 6: A Philosophy of Education