“Let us try, however imperfectly, to make education a science of relationships . . . try in one subject or another to let the children work upon living ideas. In this field small efforts are honoured with great rewards.”—Charlotte Mason
Charlotte Mason (1842–1923) was 100 years ahead of her time in developing an educational philosophy that stressed bringing broad and stimulating education to a child in a noncompetitive, Biblically-based way. Her timeless, practical insights and her emphasis on the responsibility of the home have made her a founding influence in the homeschooling movement.
School Education presents Charlotte’s ideas on developing a curriculum. In it you will explore how you can give your child the best education through
- the atmosphere of your home, including how you handle your role as an authority;
- your view of your child as a whole person;
- intentional physical, intellectual, moral, and religious training;
- great ideas presented in living books;
- a wide variety of natural objects to be handled and observed;
- opportunities to form relations with everything that is suitable for him.
“Teachers owe much to Charlotte Mason’s deep insight into child psychology and to the new principles in character building and mind training which she advocated. The gratitude of [those] who have profited by her counsel will be her enduring memorial.”—Elizabeth R., Her Majesty the Queen Mother of England
Now you can read Charlotte Mason’s original writings with confidence. This study edition of the Original Home Schooling Series presents
- Authorized page replicas of the complete text as originally published, so you can be sure every word is authentic and accurate;
- Keeps the original page numbers, so you can easily look up favorite quotations and cited references—great for study groups;
- Enlarged text (28% larger), meticulously restored for ease of reading;
- Wide margins for note-taking, so you have plenty of room to document your growth as you study her rich and practical ideas;
- 8.5″ x 11″ page size, so your book will lie open more easily.
Purchase the printed copy and you also receive two e-book formats free: the wide-margin study edition and an edition without the notes column for easier reading on your e-reader device. Both formats are also included with the e-book purchase.
Enjoy all of the authorized volumes, with accurate replicas of the original pages, available from Simply Charlotte Mason.
Volume 1: Home Education
Volume 2: Parents and Children
Volume 3: School Education
Volume 4: Ourselves
Volume 5: Formation of Character
Volume 6: A Philosophy of Education