“We all stir out minds into action the better if there is an implied ‘must’ in the background; for children in class the ‘must’ acts through the certainty that they will be required to narrate or write from what they have read with no opportunity of ‘looking up,’ or other devices of the idle.” —Charlotte Mason
Charlotte Mason (1842–1923) was 100 years ahead of her time in developing an educational philosophy that stressed bringing broad and stimulating education to a child in a noncompetitive, Biblically-based way. Her timeless, practical insights and her emphasis on the responsibility of the home have made her a founding influence in the homeschooling movement.
A Philosophy of Education reveals how curiosity is the pathway to creative learning. Written in two books, it explains the Charlotte Mason approach and cites results in students using her approach. In it you will find solid principles and practical methods that make education simple yet effective. Discover
- what it means to view a child as a person;
- how to educate through atmosphere, discipline, and life;
- the roles of the Will and Reason in a child’s life;
- how curriculum should impart knowledge of God, of man, and of the universe;
- the best methods for encouraging children to grow in that knowledge.
“Teachers owe much to Charlotte Mason’s deep insight into child psychology and to the new principles in character building and mind training which she advocated. The gratitude of [those] who have profited by her counsel will be her enduring memorial.”—Elizabeth R., Her Majesty the Queen Mother of England
Now you can read Charlotte Mason’s original writings with confidence. This study edition of the Original Home Schooling Series presents
- Authorized page replicas of the complete text as originally published, so you can be sure every word is authentic and accurate;
- Keeps the original page numbers, so you can easily look up favorite quotations and cited references—great for study groups;
- Enlarged text (28% larger), meticulously restored for ease of reading;
- Wide margins for note-taking, so you have plenty of room to document your growth as you study her rich and practical ideas;
- 8.5″ x 11″ page size, so your book will lie open more easily.
Purchase the printed copy and you also receive two e-book formats free: the wide-margin study edition and an edition without the notes column for easier reading on your e-reader device. Both formats are also included with the e-book purchase.
Enjoy all of the authorized volumes, with accurate replicas of the original pages, available from Simply Charlotte Mason.
Home Education: Charlotte Mason’s Original Home Schooling Series, Volume 1$11.95 – $19.95
Parents and Children: Charlotte Mason’s Original Home Schooling Series, Volume 2$11.95 – $19.95
School Education: Charlotte Mason’s Original Home Schooling Series, Volume 3$11.95 – $19.95
Ourselves: Charlotte Mason’s Original Home Schooling Series, Volume 4$12.95 – $21.95
Formation of Character: Charlotte Mason’s Original Home Schooling Series, Volume 5$12.95 – $21.95
A Philosophy of Education: Charlotte Mason’s Original Home Schooling Series, Volume 6$11.95 – $19.95
Volume 1: Home Education
Volume 2: Parents and Children
Volume 3: School Education
Volume 4: Ourselves
Volume 5: Formation of Character
Volume 6: A Philosophy of Education