Here is one way to combine the various Family Enrichment studies. Use these ideas as is or as a starting point. Add your selected history time period books and grade-level math, science, and language arts to complete your year’s plan.
Scripture Memory: Verse Pack 4
The memory verses packs, which contain about fifty verses each, are designed to be learned and recited together as a family. Our Scripture Memory System gives tips on how to easily memorize and review any verses you want to use. We also have the verse packs available in a free download of printable verse cards.
Romans 10:9, 10
Literature: Book Group 3
Select one level to read aloud: younger, middle, or older. Use the links below to view all the books in a group in the CM Bookfinder for easy scheduling in our CM Organizer. You can also see our suggestions for where to find the books.
Younger Students (Grades 1–4)
- Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
- Heidi by Johanna Spyri
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald
- At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald
- The Railway Children by E. Nesbit
Middle Students (Grades 5–8)
- Laddie: A True Blue Story by Gene Stratton-Porter
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell
- Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
- A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
- Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan
Older Students (Grades 9–12)
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Through Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth Elliot
- Beowulf by Anonymous
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
- Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Poetry: Emily Dickinson
Read Dickinson’s poems for several weeks (six at least). If possible, read a short, interesting biography about her as well. During the other weeks of the year, simply read a variety of poems and enjoy them together.
Picture Study: Giotto, Titian, Monet
Our Picture Study Portfolios make it simple to get to know these new friends.
Handicrafts & Art: Brush Drawing, Cardboard & Paper or Woodworking, Ink
Our Handicrafts Made Simple video series is a good resource to help your children (and you) learn a new-to-you handicraft. Creating a Masterpiece teaches several different media (pastel, pencil drawing, ink, sculpture, watercolor, acrylic painting) on several levels.
- Term 1: Brush Drawing
- Term 2: Handicrafts Made Simple: Cardboard & Paper or Woodworking
- Term 3: Creating a Masterpiece: Ink
Music Study: Liszt, Handel, Schumann
Listen to pieces by the composer for several weeks until the children become familiar with that composer’s style. If possible, read or listen to a short biography about that composer sometime during your study of his work.
Hymn Study: Hymn Group 3
Sing the hymn together until all of the family members have learned every stanza. If you learn one hymn every six weeks or so, you will be able to cover six in a school year. Singing the Great Hymns includes all of these hymns, along with audio recordings, to make hymn study simple.
- And Can It Be
- O Worship the King
- Now Thank We All Our God
- Once for All
- Oh, for a Thousand Tongues
- Hark, the Herald Angels Sing
Shakespeare: The Taming of the Shrew
Personal Development: Laying Down the Rails
Laying Down the Rails: A Charlotte Mason Habits Handbook and Laying Down the Rails for Children: A Habit-Training Companion will help your whole family focus on cultivating good habits one at a time.
Foreign Language: Speaking [Spanish] with Miss Mason and Francois
Each volume from Cherrydale Press is designed to last several years. Work as a family at your own pace with your language of choice.
Here is one way to spread the feast throughout a week, including your selected History/Geography/Bible study and math, science, and language arts for individual students. Click any subject below for more details.