Help your student grow in language arts skills through great literature!
Using Language Well is designed to be a companion to our Spelling Wisdom books, which contain wonderful excerpts from great literature, worthy poetry, beautiful Scripture, and powerful quotations. Now you can use those same great literary passages to teach English usage, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and composition!
Book 1 focuses on basic capitalization, punctuation, and usage. We recommend it for grades 3 and 4.
Book 2 focuses on parts of speech. We recommend it for grades 5 and 6.
Book 3 focuses on sentence analysis. We recommend it for grades 7 and 8.
Pair Using Language Well with Spelling Wisdom to
- Give your student a rich literary approach to language arts in grades 3–12.
- Help your student discover for himself key points of English usage, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and elements of good writing.
- Keep interest and attention high through short lessons just twice a week.
- Confidently guide and evaluate your student’s progress in composition with the helpful tips and practical tools in the Teacher Guide & Answer Key.
The student book is consumable; order one per student.
The Teacher Guide
The Teacher Guide for Using Language Well provides clear answers to every question in the Student Book, but it also gives you so much more! You will find helpful and thorough explanations sprinkled throughout the lessons to encourage you in the Charlotte Mason way of doing language arts, plus a step-by-step plan to help your student grow in composition through his narrations. All the practical tools you need to evaluate his writing are included.
The Teacher Guide & Answer Key will help you
- Quickly confirm what your student learned in the Student Book through guided discovery and great literature.
- Keep on track with helpful teaching tips and practical reminders based on Charlotte Mason’s methods.
- Encourage your student to improve naturally in composition skills step by step.
- Evaluate your student’s narrations with confidence using the included rubrics and detailed instructions.
- Be assured your student is growing in language arts skills with Charlotte’s simple yet effective methods!
All Using Language Well books build upon previous ones and include English, grammar, and writing points. Each book serves a unique role in the series.
Book 1—Basic Capitalization, Punctuation, and Usage
Contractions • Sentences • Plurals • Possessives • Synonyms, Antonyms, Homonyms • Capitalization • Punctuation • Alphabetizing • Prefixes and Suffixes
Book 2—Parts of Speech
Nouns • Pronouns • Adjectives • Verbs • Adverbs • Interjections • Articles • Conjunctions • Prepositions
Book 3—Sentence Analysis
Subjects • Predicates • Subject Complements • Verbals • Phrases • Clauses • Introduction to Poetry Analysis
Book 4—Composition Sharpening
Book 5—Advanced Composition
Placing Your Student
Use the book topics listed above to help you determine which book to start with. For example, if your student already has a good grasp on basic capitalization and punctuation (covered in Book 1) but hasn’t yet studied parts of speech, start with Book 2. Complete two lessons per week, right along with Spelling Wisdom, and a book will last two years: Lessons 1–70 in the first year and Lessons 71–140 in the second.
The grade levels are not the final say, but if you’re curious, here is one way we envision the Using Language Well series being used through the grades:
- Grades 3 and 4—Book 1 (Lessons 1–70 incorporate transcription; Lessons 71–140 make the transition to prepared dictation.)
- Grades 5 and 6—Book 2
- Grades 7 and 8—Book 3
- Grades 9 and 10—Book 4
- Grades 11 and 12—Book 5 (optional)
If your student has already completed a Spelling Wisdom book’s dictation exercises, you can still work through its corresponding Using Language Well lessons and either omit or review dictation portions as desired.
For example, let’s say you have already done the dictation exercises in Spelling Wisdom, Book 1, and are ready to start Book 2, but you think your student will benefit from studying the punctuation, capitalization, and English usage lessons in Using Language Well, Book 1. You could easily set aside the Spelling Wisdom, Book 2, for a few weeks and focus on working through the Using Language Well book you have missed. Most lessons take only a few minutes, so you could do several per week by leaving out the dictation portions you have already done. Once you have completed the lessons in Using Language Well, Book 1, you could pick back up and start doing the exercises of Spelling Wisdom, Book 2, along with the lessons in Using Language Well, Book 2.