Help your student grow in language arts skills through great literature!
Using Language Well, Book 3, is designed to be a companion to Spelling Wisdom, Book 3, which contains wonderful excerpts from great literature, worthy poetry, beautiful Scripture, and powerful quotations. Now you can use those same great literary passages to teach English grammar and sentence analysis, plus review English usage, punctuation, and capitalization!
Pair Using Language Well, Book 3, with Spelling Wisdom, Book 3, to
- Give your student a rich literary approach to language arts in grades 7 and 8.
- Teach your student how to analyze sentences with a simplified marking system, less complicated than diagramming.
- Guide your student to discover for himself key points of English usage, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and elements of good writing.
- Keep interest and attention high through short lessons just twice a week.
- Confidently guide and evaluate your student’s progress in composition with the helpful tips and practical tools in the Teacher Guide & Answer Key.
Book 3 is designed to last for two years. When your student completes Using Language Well, Book 3 (with Spelling Wisdom, Book 3), he will be able to
- parse a sentence, marking each word with its correct part of speech;
- analyze a sentence, marking subjects, predicates, direct objects, indirect objects, subject complements, and clauses;
- use commas correctly in a sentence as they relate to phrases and clauses;
- explain how prefixes and suffixes can change a word’s part of speech and meaning;
- identify and define metaphors, similes, and personifications;
- use a dictionary and a thesaurus;
- do more complex alphabetizing with book titles and people’s names
- analyze a poem’s end rhymes and eye rhymes, meter and rhyme schemes, plus identify a sonnet and iambic foot;
- and more! (See a complete list in the Placement Guide below.)
He will also have written from dictation hundreds of sentences from good literature. You can adjust the length of the dictation passage to best fit your student. We recommend dictating up to one paragraph from each Spelling Wisdom passage for students in seventh and eighth grades.
The Teacher Guide
The Teacher Guide for Using Language Well, Book 3, provides clear answers to every question in the Student Book, but it also gives you so much more! You will find helpful and thorough explanations sprinkled throughout the lessons to encourage you in the Charlotte Mason way of doing language arts, plus a step-by-step plan to help your student grow in composition through his narrations. All the practical tools you need to evaluate his writing are included.
Order one Using Language Well student book per student. The Using Language Well Teacher Guide and the corresponding Spelling Wisdom book are reusable.
All Using Language Well books build upon previous ones and include English, grammar, and writing points. Each book serves a unique role in the series.
Book 1—Basic Capitalization, Punctuation, and Usage
Contractions • Sentences • Plurals • Possessives • Synonyms, Antonyms, Homonyms • Capitalization • Punctuation • Alphabetizing • Prefixes and Suffixes
Book 2—Parts of Speech
Nouns • Pronouns • Adjectives • Verbs • Adverbs • Interjections • Articles • Conjunctions • Prepositions
Book 3—Sentence Analysis
Subjects • Predicates • Subject Complements • Verbals • Phrases • Clauses • Introduction to Poetry Analysis
Future Books in the Series
Book 4—Composition Sharpening
Book 5—Advanced Composition (optional)