The Outdoor Secrets Companion
Available in Printed Book, E-book (pdf)
$5.95 – $8.95
Additional learning ideas that correspond with the stories in Outdoor Secrets. Includes nature study, additional living science books, beautiful poetry, and nature notebook suggestions. (Early Years–Grade 2) See full description →
Download a Free Sample
Help your child discover nature hiding in your own back yard!
Now you can expand on each gentle nature story in the living science book Outdoor Secrets. Your first- and second-graders can learn more about the secrets that are awaiting them outside! In The Outdoor Secrets Companion you will find nature study ideas, simple projects, beautiful nature poetry, gentle lesson plans, and additional non-twaddle book suggestions that correspond with the stories in Outdoor Secrets.
- Living Science—Enjoy these activities and ideas that correspond with the nature stories in the 1903 reprint, Outdoor Secrets.
- Saves Time—Relax. All the work has been done for you. We’ve put in the hours of research so you don’t have to.
- Gentle and Flexible—Use the simple lesson plans at your own pace. Buzz through the ideas in a Term or meander along throughout the year.
- Charlotte Mason in Its Approach—Includes lots of non-twaddle book suggestions, nature study ideas, narration, a nature notebook, and beautiful poetry.
- Helpful—Gives you handy tips and reminders of upcoming resources in a convenient Notes column.
Book List for The Outdoor Secrets Companion
For the entire study
- Outdoor Secrets by Margaret P. Boyle
- Favorite Poems Old and New selected by Helen Ferris
- Nature notebook for each child
- The Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock (optional)
For specific lessons
- How Do Apples Grow by Betsy Maestro
- Johnny Appleseed by Reeve Lindbergh
- A Desert Scrapbook: Dawn to Dusk in the Sonoran Desert by Virginia Wright-Frierson
- An Earthworm’s Life by John Himmelman
- A Seed Is Sleepy by Dianna Hutts Aston
- My Favorite Tree by Diane Iverson
- Crinkleroot’s Guide to Knowing the Trees by Jim Arnosky (optional; out of print)
- The Robins in Your Backyard by Nancy Carol Willis
- From Seed To Plant by Gail Gibbons
- Bumblebee at Apple Tree Lane by Laura Gates Galvin
- The Owl and the Woodpecker: Encounters with North America’s Most Iconic Birds by Paul Bannick (optional)
- Are You a Dragonfly? By Judy Allen and Tudor Humphries
- Flower Garden by Eve Bunting
- Wonderful Pussy Willows by Jerome Wexler (optional; out of print)
- Flip, Float, Fly!: Seeds on the Move by JoAnn Early Macken
- Water Dance by Thomas Locker
- Wasps by Martha Rustad
- Chippy Chipmunk Parties in the Garden by Kathy M. Miller
- Read-Aloud Poems for Young People OR The Oxford Book of Children’s Verse in America (optional)
|Dimensions||11 × 8.5 × 0.125 in|
Grade 1, Grade 2
Free basic shipping on USA orders over $75!