The choices your student makes today will set the direction for his life.
Charlotte Mason wrote two books directly to young adults: Self-Knowledge and Self-Direction. (Both are combined within the volume Ourselves for parents.) She had a strong desire to help teens understand all of the beautiful and noble possibilities that exist within them, as well as the dangers that assault their souls and try to hinder them from making the most of themselves.
In Self-Direction (the sequel to Self-Knowledge) your student will get to know the ruling powers of Mansoul—the kingdom within him. He will discover how to make good decisions that will profit his kingdom and bring honor to his King. He will also become familiar with the lead counselor in his kingdom (Conscience) and learn whether he can trust that counselor’s advice. Self-Direction is all about helping your student learn how to govern the kingdom of Mansoul well and become the best version of himself that he can possibly be.
This Youth Edition of Ourselves, Book 2, provides
- short readings to give your student great ideas in small, powerful doses;
- narration and discussion prompts that encourage heart-to-heart conversations and life application;
- a friendly introduction to Charlotte Mason and her writing style in the book;
side notes that define unknown terms and clarify unfamiliar references to help your student feel confident with the text;
- exam questions that cover key concepts and encourage accountability and retention;
- two reading schedules to choose from: a two-year recommended plan or a one-year condensed plan. We recommend parents read and discuss Self-Direction with their students in grades 9 and 10.
Designed as a complete package, Self-Direction makes Ourselves, Book 2, friendly and convenient for students and parents alike.