Here is one way to combine the various Family Enrichment studies. Use these ideas as is or as a starting point. Add your selected history time period books and grade-level math, science, and language arts to complete your year’s plan.
Scripture Memory: Verse Pack 2
The memory verses packs, which contain about fifty verses each, are designed to be learned and recited together as a family. Our Scripture Memory System gives tips on how to easily memorize and review any verses you want to use. We also have the verse packs available in a free download of printable verse cards.
1 Corinthians 4:2
1 Corinthians 9:25
1 Corinthians 14:40
2 Corinthians 9:7
Colossians 3:12, 13
1 Timothy 2:1, 2
1 Timothy 5:21
2 Timothy 1:16, 17
Literature: Book Group 4
Select one level to read aloud: younger, middle, or older. Use the links below to view all the books in a group in the CM Bookfinder for easy scheduling in our CM Organizer. You can also see our suggestions for where to find the books.
Younger Students (Grades 1–4)
- The Magician’s Nephew by C. S. Lewis
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
- The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis
- Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis
- Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis
- The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis
- The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis
- Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter
- Some Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle
Middle Students (Grades 5–8)
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
- Jo’s Boys by Louisa May Alcott
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
Older Students (Grades 9–12)
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore
- The Deerslayer by James Fenimore Cooper
- The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
Poetry: Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Read Tennyson’s poems for several weeks (six at least). If possible, read a short, interesting biography about him as well. During the other weeks of the year, simply read a variety of poems and enjoy them together.
Picture Study: Van Gogh, Botticelli, Dürer
Our Picture Study Portfolios make it simple to get to know these new friends.
Handicrafts & Art: Silk Dyeing, Woodworking or Cardboard & Paper, Ink
Our Handicrafts Made Simple video series is a good resource to help your children (and you) learn a new-to-you handicraft. Creating a Masterpiece teaches several different media (pastel, pencil drawing, ink, sculpture, watercolor, acrylic painting) on several levels.
- Term 1: Creating a Masterpiece: Silk Dyeing
- Term 2: Handicrafts Made Simple: Woodworking or Cardboard & Paper
- Term 3: Creating a Masterpiece: Ink
Music Study: Mozart, Liszt, Wagner
Listen to pieces by the composer for several weeks until the children become familiar with that composer’s style. If possible, read or listen to a short biography about that composer sometime during your study of his work.
- Term 1: Mozart
- Term 2: Liszt
- Term 3: Wagner
Hymn Study: Hymn Group 4
Sing the hymn together until all of the family members have learned every stanza. If you learn one hymn every six weeks or so, you will be able to cover six in a school year. Singing the Great Hymns includes all of these hymns, along with audio recordings, to make hymn study simple.
- All Hail the Power
- Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
- Hallelujah, What a Savior
- When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
- Come, Ye Thankful People
- O Little Town of Bethlehem
Shakespeare: A Comedy of Errors
Personal Development: Laying Down the Rails
Laying Down the Rails: A Charlotte Mason Habits Handbook and Laying Down the Rails for Children: A Habit-Training Companion will help your whole family focus on cultivating good habits one at a time.
Foreign Language: Speaking [Spanish] with Miss Mason and Francois
Each volume from Cherrydale Press is designed to last several years. Work as a family at your own pace with your language of choice.
Here is one way to spread the feast throughout a week, including your selected History/Geography/Bible study and math, science, and language arts for individual students. Click any subject below for more details.