Last week we discussed some reasons to add picture study to your home school. Picture study is a simple method that reaps great rewards.
This week let’s look at the how-to. Here are the easy steps that Charlotte Mason described for doing picture study.
1. Select one artist and six or so of his pictures to study.
2. When you begin to study a new artist, Charlotte suggested that you read a short story of that artist’s life.
3. Let the children study one picture, silently taking it all in, noticing every detail until they know it and see it in their mind’s eye.
4. Turn the reproduction over or hide it from sight, and have the children describe it in as much detail as they can remember.
5. When the narrations are complete, invite a short discussion about the picture. Keep in mind that you are not supposed to be the dispenser of all knowledge. Simply tell the name of the piece and ask the children’s response to it. “Did you like this painting?” “What did this picture make you think of?” “Did it remind you of anything you’ve read about?” These simple questions further the children’s interaction with the piece, helping them connect the new painting to their previous knowledge.
The next week, select another picture by the same artist and repeat the process. Over several weeks you will have covered all six pictures, one picture every week or two.
Then choose a new artist and go again.
Would you like a demonstration? This video excerpt from our Books and Things Seminar on DVD shows how you can easily use picture study in your own homeschool.
See how simple it is? Ten or fifteen minutes once a week is all it takes. Yet the change in type of lesson, the enjoyment afforded by looking at great art, and the relations your students will make are just some of the rewards you will discover by including picture study in your home school.
Next week we’ll answer some Frequently Asked Questions about picture study.
Who are some of your favorite artists? Leave a comment and encourage others in their picture study.
One Day Left to Save on Hebrews Bible Study
Just a reminder that today is the last day for the introductory price on our new Family Bible Study on the book of Hebrews. Download the free sample of Jesus Is Better: Lessons from Hebrews to see how this study involves all the students in your family and provides additional studies for the older children and adults.
Be sure to order your copy today to take advantage of the special price.