Teach spelling with some of the greatest minds in history!
“A refreshing approach to spelling exists: no lists, no drill, no problem!”
“I love that Spelling Wisdom teaches spelling with such fine literature. I can’t imagine a more meaningful way of learning how to spell.”
“This method is making spelling stick — and I have a couple of ‘non-spellers’ as well as one that spells easily.”
“Who would have thought something so simple would work so well. He loves doing his spelling now!!”
“If you’re looking for a solid spelling curriculum, you’ve come to the right place.”
“Our primary learning language is French, and I thought maybe I was trying too hard, too soon with them, especially our youngest. Boy, was I wrong! Even with the various learning differences our children struggle with, Spelling Wisdom turned out to be such a blessing to our family. I am having a hard time limiting our dictation and spelling to two lessons a week! The children just can’t seem to get enough of the great bits of literature they come across!”
Learn today’s 6,000 most frequently used words presented in the writings of great men and women of history! Now you can have the confidence that you’re teaching the words your student needs to know, using the Charlotte Mason method of prepared dictation.
- Easy — Teaches spelling and punctuation in just a few minutes each week. (See our simple how to use Spelling Wisdom instructions.)
- Thorough — Incorporates more than 12,500 words, including 6,000 most frequently used words in the English language.
Effective — Uses the tried-and-true method of prepared dictation, which Charlotte Mason endorsed.
Watch a video explaining more about prepared dictation and how it works.
(Trouble viewing? Try the YouTube version.)
- Interesting and inspiring — Presents beautiful and fascinating ideas from great men and women of history that encourage and motivate children as they learn to spell the words.
- Flexible — Allows you to progress at each student’s pace.
- Saves Time — Can be used for copywork as well.
A Complete Homeschool Spelling Curriculum
The five books’ exercises become progressively longer and contain more difficult words as you work through the series. Each book contains 140 exercises. If you cover two exercises per week, you should be able to finish a Spelling Wisdom book in a little less than two school years. Charlotte Mason began dictation exercises with students around the third or fourth grade. With that schedule in mind, here is a rough model of which books correspond to which grades:
Grades 3, 4, 5: Book One
Grades 5, 6, 7: Book Two
Grades 7, 8, 9: Book Three
Grades 9, 10, 11: Book Four
Grades 11, 12: Book Five
Compiled from more than 170 quality sources, including:
- Excerpts from more than 45 Literary Classics, such as Aesop’s Fables, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, Black Beauty, David Copperfield, The Deerslayer, Freckles, Les Miserables, Little Women, Robinson Crusoe, The Secret Garden, The Story of My Life, and The Wind in the Willows.
- Speeches and quotes of famous men, such as Sir Winston Churchill, Theodore Roosevelt, and George Washington.
- Charlotte Mason quotes and excerpts from Ourselves.
- Letters written by famous men, such as Beethoven, Seneca, Mozart, and Abraham Lincoln.
- More than 60 Poems, written by such poets as Stevenson, Wordsworth, Emerson, Longfellow, and Holmes.
- More than 20 Scripture passages.
- Excerpts from Shakespeare’s plays, plus several Sonnets.
Exercises thoughtfully selected to support a generous education and broad curriculum, including:
- Character Development
- Language Arts