Also available: Laying Down the Rails Workshop DVD and CD, the companion book Laying Down the Rails for Children, and Laying Down the Rails book, video, and audio bundles.
Discover the secret to smooth and easy days!
“Laying Down the Rails is useful and practical and worth owning. Parents would do well to have it close by in order to refer to it often. Recognizing how powerful habits are and their potential helpfulness in the home school is the first step. Using this resource is definitely the second. Charlotte Mason had much to say on this valuable topic and this book has captured her vast wisdom and presented it in a friendly and easy to use format. I consider this work to be indispensable and will recommend it to all home schooling parents.”
“Laying Down the Rails is an amazing parent/teacher resource that should, in my opinion, be in every homeschool household, whether you are a Charlotte Mason educator or not.”
The mother who takes pains to endow her children with good habits secures for herself smooth and easy days.—Charlotte Mason
Charlotte likened good habits to rails on which our children’s lives could run smoothly. It is the parent’s business to lay down those rails.
Here, compiled into one volume, are all the habits Charlotte mentioned in her writings with her thoughts and suggestions for cultivating each one. This work also includes Charlotte’s help for breaking bad habits, hundreds of inspiring quotes, and lots of practical tips.
- Complete—Details more than fifty CM habits with their corresponding passages from Charlotte’s writings, as well as her thoughts on the importance of habits.
- Practical—Presents Charlotte’s writings in bite-size chunks with summary statements and quick personal review questions. Modern-day examples offer additional insight into applying CM principles today.
- Organized—Arranges all the habits into five main categories: decency and propriety habits, mental habits, moral habits, physical habits, and religious habits.
- Handy—Provides a Habits Checklist to help you track your child’s and your own progress in developing good habits.
- Encouraging—Motivates and inspires you with wonderful quotes from Charlotte Mason and many other great men and women of history, like Helen Keller, Benjamin Franklin, Winston Churchill, William Shakespeare, Ralph Waldo Emerson, C. S. Lewis, Thomas Edison, and more!
- Easy to Use—Acts as a quick and easy reference book with an Index that lists all the habits and the pages on which they are mentioned.
You may also be interested in the companion book Laying Down the Rails for Children.