Free shipping on USA orders over $95!
The Charlotte Mason Elementary Arithmetic Series: Book 4
$44.95 – $63.95
Engaging lessons that nurture mathematical thinking and help your student advance in addition and subtraction up to 1,000,000, as well as multiplication and division with larger numbers; continue work in fractions; introduce decimals; and provide a hands-on investigation of both metric and US standard measures, including measures of area, cubic measure, and volume. See full description →
You and your child are sure to enjoy these simple, lively elementary math lessons that nurture mathematical thinking and help your student advance in addition and subtraction up to 1,000,000, as well as multiplication and division with larger numbers; continue work in fractions; introduce decimals; and provide a hands-on investigation of both metric and US standard measures, including measures of area, cubic measure, and volume.
For grade 4 you will need The Charlotte Mason Elementary Arithmetic Series, Book 4, and a Math Notebook for your child (sized according to your child’s handwriting).
Charlotte Mason’s Approach to Elementary Arithmetic
Charlotte Mason’s math lessons seem to be tailor made for an elementary child.
Lessons are mainly oral and are carefully graduated, with your child answering small word problems within his understanding (no reading required). He works out the problems in a hands-on way using a variety of common, everyday objects. This straightforward but interesting teaching guides your child to make discoveries on his own.
A grid notebook is used as the student’s math notebook, in which he records the math concepts he has discovered. Writing is used sparingly, so the effort of handwriting does not overshadow the math concept being grasped.
Progression of the lessons is adjusted to the pace that fits your child best, so you can go slowly enough to build understanding and comfort in the math concepts but not so slowly that the child becomes bored.
Short, lively lessons reinforce a habit of concentrated attention while not overtaxing the child’s ability to sit still. Book 4 also guides you in helping your child begin independent math lessons. Each day’s work goes no longer than 30 minutes, with 25 minutes focused on the newest math concept and review, and the remaining 5 for mental math.
Book 4 Features
The lessons in The Charlotte Mason Elementary Arithmetic Series, Book 4, follow Charlotte Mason’s philosophy and methods for teaching math as outlined above. In Book 4 you will find
- Day-by-day lessons, so you can guide your student with confidence;
- Straightforward instructions, so you (or any other teacher) can open and go with no prep time;
- An extra 50 pages of review containing hundreds of engaging bonus questions, so you can easily linger on any concept needed;
- End-of-term exams that can be customized according to where your child is in the lessons;
- Helpful teaching tips, so you can be sure you’re teaching math in a Charlotte Mason way;
- Regular reminders to have a Number Sentence Card or two on hand, so the lesson can continue even if you need to step away for a moment;
- A beautiful and durable hard cover that will stand up well to many years of enjoyable math lessons;
- Cross-references to Charlotte Mason’s Living Math: A Guided Journey videos, so you can see the methods demonstrated and be prepared for upcoming lessons;
- A full year of math for students in grade 4 or excellent review lessons for older students who need to solidify their grasp of multiplication, division, fractions, and weights and measures;
- A non-consumable resource that will make a wonderful addition to your home library and can be used with all of your children.
Book 4 is a beautiful addition to The Charlotte Mason Elementary Arithmetic Series and an exciting way to strengthen your relationship with your child as you continue to climb together in the mountainous land of mathematics, just as Charlotte Mason described it. And with lessons like these, you can be sure that every step taken will be on firm ground.
Arithmetic Concepts in Book 4
In The Charlotte Mason Elementary Arithmetic Series, Book 4, your child will gain a solid understanding of these arithmetic concepts.
- Count by numbers greater than 1
- Oral arithmetic, adding rows of five numbers up to 100
- Numeration and notation of numbers up to 1,000,000
- Addition of numbers within 1,000,000
- Oral arithmetic; subtracting rows of five numbers within 55
- Subtraction of numbers within 1,000,000
- Sums using parentheses
- Calculating area
- Drawing plans to scale
- Long multiplication
- Multiplication by a product
- Introduction to factors
- Short division review
- Short division of money review
- Division of one quantity by another with a different unit of measurement
- Long division
- Introduction to decimals
- Measures of time
- Roman numerals
- US standard and metric measures of length
- Experiential addition and subtraction of fractions
- Pacing as a form of measurement
- US standard and metric measures of area
- Cubic measure
- US standard and metric measures of weight
- US standard and metric measures of liquid
- US standard and metric dry measures
The Charlotte Mason Elementary Arithmetic Series
Book 1: Exploration of Numbers to 100
Book 2: The Four Rules and Tables; Work with Numbers to 1000
Book 3: Tables continued; Work with Numbers to 10,000; Weights & Measures
Book 4: Long Multiplication & Division/Weights & Measures
Book 5: Decimals; Fractions; Factors (coming soon)
Book 6: Decimals & Fractions (cont.); Percentages; Ratios; Proportions (coming soon)
Placing Your Student
Download the placement guide to determine where your child should begin.
Individual Studies, Grade 4
There are no reviews yet.