History becomes memorable when you personalize it!
With My Book of Centuries you will create your own personal record of the discoveries, inventions, people, places, and events throughout history that grab your interest and pique your curiosity.
A Book of Centuries is kind of like a timeline that doesn’t clutter your wall space, because it’s in a book. But it is so much more! It is a book your children create and keep for themselves, which makes history take on a personal significance.
- Use with the whole family—Create a family Book of Centuries with younger children and allow each older child to create his own.
- Encourage more personal connections—The detailed two-pages-per-century format gives your child some gentle guidance.
- Century At a Glance section—Use the printed grid to note specific events where the date is important. Each block in the grid stands for one year in the given century.
- Noteworthy section—Record events or people that you don’t particularly need to know the exact dates for, but want to remember the general idea of who were contemporaries and what was happening during the same era. Labeled columns are provided.
- Century Artifacts section—Draw items from the various time periods that you see on museum visits or in book illustrations. You can also select an item of personal interest and show how it changed over the centuries.
- Brief Narrative section—Summarize any century that interests you. You get to choose what will be included, focusing on the events and people that you have made a personal connection with during your studies.
- Create a personal keepsake—The sturdy spiral binding and new thinner, more manageable format of this second edition will make it easier than ever for your child to create a keepsake that will last for years.
- Make history come alive—Help your child discover the mental connections that make history come alive. My Book of Centuries will encourage a lifetime of loving history.
Here is a short video of Sonya Shafer explaining the basics of keeping a Book of Centuries.
About the 2nd Edition
This 2nd edition condenses the content of the original My Book of Centurires, keeping all of the elements, but shortening each century to a single two-page spread. This is more in line with how Charlotte’s students marked time and makes the book thinner, more portable, and easier to handle.
Our basic Book of Centuries is still available as a free download, but we are pleased to also offer My Book of Centuries as an expanded version in printed or downloadable form.