We’re happy to provide this free Charlotte Mason-style curriculum guide. The recommendations are based on what we used with our children, what we plan to use, and in some cases, what we wish we had used. Feel free to use this guide as is or simply as a starting point that you can tweak to best fit your family.
You may find that our curriculum guide is different from others you might have seen. Here are a few points that might be helpful to know.
- Teach all your children together for many subjects. Look for the grade-combined Family subjects on the chart.
- Click on a subject to see specific book suggestions.
- Since we’re in the USA, we have deemphasized some of the British resources that Charlotte may have used because of where she lived.
- We update this guide with new resources as we discover them.
Watch a short video tour of the SCM Curriculum Guide and how it works.
(Trouble viewing? Try the YouTube version.)
|Subject (click each one for details)||Grade 1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12|
|Math||Hands-on math courses||Pre-Algebra||Algebra||Geometry||Algebra II||Elective|
|Science||Read living books; Creation or nature notebook OR Apologia science courses||General Science||Physical Science||Biology||Chemistry||Elective|
|Language Arts|| Beginning reading and handwriting; oral composition;
informal spelling and English
|Oral and written composition; spelling; English grammar|
|Typing||Learn, practice, and use|
|Foreign Language||Hear and speak the language||Hear and speak, read and write the language|
|Grade-Combined Family Subjects Below|
|History||Modules 1–6 (younger students are introduced to the time periods; older students study same time periods more in-depth)||Repeat Modules 1–6 (younger students are introduced to the time periods; older students study same time periods more in-depth)|
|Scripture Memory||Verse Packs 1–12 (about fifty verses per year)|
|Poetry||Selected poems, plus one poet study sometime during the year|
|Nature Study||Outdoor time and nature notebooks|
|Picture Study||Modules 1–6 (three to six artists per year)||Repeat Modules 1–6 (three to six artists per year)|
|Handicrafts & Art||Selected handicraft or art instruction each term (three per year)|
|Music Study||Modules 1–6 (three to six composers per year)||Repeat Modules 1–6 (three to six composers per year)|
|Hymn Study||Modules 1–12 (six hymns per year)|
|Shakespeare||One play every other year|
|Personal Development||Modules 1–6 to be read aloud as a family||Modules 7–12 to be read individually and discussed|
Need more help planning a curriculum for your family?
Here are a some other good resources you might find helpful:
- Planning Your Charlotte Mason Education book and DVD
- Our blog post series on planning your CM education
- Curriculum guide discussion area on the SCM Community Forum
- Our suggestions for the Early Years (3–5 years old)