Join us for hours of encouragement and practical help with the Charlotte Mason method!
Friday, November 11 (Doors open at 9:00 A.M.)
- Session 1—Feeling at Home with Charlotte Mason’s Methods (9:30 A.M.–12:00 P.M.)Gain confidence teaching school subjects using Charlotte Mason methods. You’ll discover how she presented her students with ideas in books, in language, and in things. Highlights of this session include lots of interaction, practical Q & A, and trying several of the main methods yourself. It’s great practice, and you will understand better what you are asking your children to do.
- Lunch Break (12:00–1:30 P.M.)
- Q & A Session (1:30–2:00 P.M.)
- Session 2—Buttons, Beans, and Coins: Making Math Come Alive (2:00–3:00 P.M.)Discover Charlotte Mason’s simple yet brilliant approach to teaching elementary arithmetic. Learn her teaching techniques that give the student a solid understanding of math, help instill good habits, eliminate drudgery, and encourage creativity. Gain the confidence you need to go at your child’s pace while adding variety and refreshment to math lessons.
- Session 3—Discipleship Is (3:15–4:15 P.M.)This workshop will help you take a fresh look at what Biblical discipleship really is. Sonya explains the three facets of Biblical discipleship and how you can weave them into your home life.
- Session 4—The 5 Gifts of Intentional Parents (4:30–5:30 P.M.)We parents give our children gifts every day. Some are survival gifts, given just to make a problem go away. Some are default gifts, carelessly copied from those around us. Our goal should be intentional gifts, purposely given to prepare our children for life. Discover the five gifts of intentional parents—all centered around the word TEACH—along with lots of practical tips for giving them.
Saturday, November 12 (Doors open at 9:00 A.M.)
- Session 5—When More Is Less: A Call to Simplicity (9:30–10:30 A.M.)It’s easy to get caught up in the mentality that we’ve got to add more: we must do more, we must get more, and our children must study more. More, more, more! But the funny thing is that when we keep adding more, we usually end up with less of what really matters. Come discover the richness that simplicity can bring to your schedule, your home, and your children’s education.
- Session 6—Keep It Simple: How to Teach Your Whole Family Together (10:45–11:45 A.M.)Save time and money by teaching most school subjects to all of your students together. Join Sonya for practical strategies to lower your stress level, provide a well-rounded education, and help you and your children build sweet memories. Learn how to keep it simple by teaching your whole family together with Charlotte Mason methods!
- Lunch Break (11:45 A.M.–1:00 P.M.)
- Q & A Session (1:00–1:30 P.M.)
- Session 7—Habit-Training Yourself: Good Habits Are Not Just for Kids (1:30–2:30 P.M.)Yes, we want our children to have good habits, but many of us parents struggle with habits in our own lives. Take a look at four powerful pictures that give insight into how habits are formed and what to do about your bad habits. Learn the three most important words to keep in mind when habit-training. Discover how to instill your own good habits that will serve you well and help your days run smoothly.
- Session 8—The Quiet Schooling of Nature (2:45–3:45 P.M.)We all have a fascinating science resource right outside our doors, but we often overlook it because it is so quiet. Come learn how nature study lays the foundation for science lessons, how to get started, and how to keep a nature notebook, plus fun and simple nature study ideas for the whole family.
- Session 9—One Word Can Change Everything: The
StrongWeak-Willed Child (4:00–5:00 P.M.)When Sonya realized how Charlotte Mason defined strong-willed vs. weak-willed, it completely changed her attitude toward her children. If you feel like you are constantly butting heads in a battle of the wills, this session could revolutionize how you view your child. Discover helpful ideas that can relieve the tension, refresh your perspective, and restore the peace.
Simply Charlotte Mason will have a large display of our resources available for you to get your hands on, look through, and purchase at a special conference discount!
Online registration is closed, but there is still space to register at the door on a first come, first served basis.
Lunch each day will be on your own. Feel free to bring a sack lunch. These break times are great opportunities to get to know other CMers and make new friends!
Children and Babies
Childcare will not be provided at the conference.
Nursing babies are welcome. We ask only that mamas are considerate of all the other attendees and step out of the room if the baby is becoming loud enough to be a distraction. With some babies that’s easy; others have become show-stoppers. You know your baby best. If you think it will be an easy task to enjoy the conference and not detract from others’ enjoyment with Baby present, please bring that precious little one along.
Map and Directions
Woodland Presbyterian Church
5824 Berkley Dr.
New Orleans, LA 70131