7 year old Literature

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We have been working our way through the family read aloud list here on SCM for literature. I have not been requiring my 7 year old to give a narration after we read. However, I am thinking that he might really enjoy it so I was wondering about adding an extra literature selection during the day (we do our family read aloud with daddy in the evening). My son is still learning to read, so I am not assigning independent reads yet. What do the rest of you do?

Renee Gould
    Participant

Hi Tina..

My son is 7 too, so your post peaked my interest. 🙂  I have been having  him narrate every since I started Charlotte mason style education.  Charlotte advises narration to start around 6.  (My 5 year old even enjoys it, but I don’t require it of her.)

So, we have a family read aloud that we do together for enjoyment.  We have books he reads out loud to me (He is still learning to read, but reading at 2nd grade level.) and I don’t require him to narrate his own reading yet.  I figure he needs to get used to reading in general.:-) Then I have a specific book that we read daily that I require him to narrate.  We just finished Stewart Little.

This  year, (Starting next week officially) we will be narrating more of the subjects.  History, Science and Literature for sure.  He still is not narrating huge amounts of story yet, but I am hoping to step that up a bit this fall.

I think you should start now.:-) Especially if you think he will enjoy.  He is at the age Charlotte Mason recommends it.:-)

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Renee

Tina
    Participant

Renee,

Thanks for your thoughts. It is helpful to hear what others are doing. We started with practicing narrations with Aesop’s Fables a while ago, and then moved onto some other narrations in the other subjects. However, I found that the actual Bible was a bit too frustrating for him. He did enjoy narrating from Outdoor Secrets. Recently, I have been having him narrate from Vos’s Storybook bible which seems to be working much better. Since we are reading a family read aloud for enjoyment, I thought that maybe I should add another literature selection for during the day since he really enjoys narrating stories. I believe I read somewhere that I shouldn’t plan on more than 2 narrations a day though. I guess I have been struggling to know if I should have him narrate with a literature selection. Hope that all makes sense.

Renee Gould
    Participant

Tina..

It definitely helps to start them narrating with a book they like.  When I started, we would literally narrate a sentence at a time.  Sometimes we would only get through a paragraph at the beginning.  It took a while for me to learn the different ways to ‘lead’ a narration too.  I really like the free bookmark (available online SCM free downloads) provided by SCM. I used this with the book he was narrating and it helped me ‘lead’ the narration in different encouraging ways.

I would just pick a book, start slow with narrating small sentences first.  Maybe read ahead of his narration, look for any words or concepts that may be confusing, and make sure you go over those first.  I learned this the hard way too.  Almost all the books I have chosen have some words that he doesn’t understand or know.  🙂

The key is to just get him started.  I found it a little uncomfortable for him and I at first.  Once you just keep plugging away, it just starts to flow and become easier.  There are many ‘helps’ on SCM site regarding narration. They even have a free download e-book that is the 5 steps to narration. This really helped me too!

Happy reading!:-)

Renee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘7 year old Literature’ is closed to new replies.