7 Sisters Literature Guides

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Has anyone used the 7 Sisters literature guides for high school?  What did you think of them? Would you recommend any particular one for a 10th grader who is reading a bit below “grade level” and is mildly dyslexic?

Melanie32
    Participant

Hi Sue! I’ve never used one of the them but I did check out the free one on Anne of Green Gables. I didn’t much care for it, myself.

The way I’m handling this with my 9th grade daughter is just to do one study guide on one book every year or so. I’m using the guides from Bravewriter which are ok, nothing to write home about. I initially really liked them but after using 2, I’m a bit less enchanted.

Glencoe has free literature studies online and I think I prefer just to use those and pick and choose which parts to do with my daughter. We do most of the literature guides orally but I have had her write an essay based on one of the essay questions. You could always start with a shorter, easier book to introduce the concepts. They have one for Island of the Blue Dolphins and another on Johnny Tremaine for instance.

Another idea would be do use the literary analysis curriculum that starts with children’s books since they are easy to analyze and can prepare a student for analyzing more difficult works. We used a free chart I found online to do this with A Bargain For Frances which is the book the author goes through in a free talk available on his website.

Here’s a link to the Glencoe website with quite a few lit guides listed alphabetically:

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/

Here is a link to the Center for Lit which is the one I mentioned above that begins with children’s literature:

http://www.centerforlit.com/

Alternatively, there is a guide called The Reader’s Odyssey that walks a parent and child through choosing their own books and applying literary analysis skills to them.

Sue
    Participant

Those are great suggestions, Melanie.  We have just been discussing the literature selections she reads basically as oral narration, but I sort of “freaked out” when I prepared her portfolio of last year’s work for review by the teacher we use for that.  I realized that we had literally nothing written to review for literature, just our book list.  And that was only 4 books, I think, because it takes her awhile to read anything.

I was reading something somewhere that mentioned a book per month….I cannot imagine her handling that much yet.  We are hoping to start using a neurological developmental approach at home to work on the dyslexia (which should make writing easier, too), but the materials are rather expensive.  I was unaware of the deadline to apply for a grant from the Home School Foundation, so I can’t ask them to cover the cost this year.  I may have to develop a Plan B.

In the meantime, I am thinking that using some sort of literature guides may help me to help her with written narration.  Additionally, I will probably need to read or reread her literature selections so that I can get a better idea of what prompts to give her.

Oh, what an arduous task….to have to read great literature in order to properly instruct my child!  I guess I’ll just have to give up sitting on the couch eating bonbons all afternoon…. 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘7 Sisters Literature Guides’ is closed to new replies.