50 state study

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So when are folks studying the 50 states? Do you put it into the last two years of  history or do you do include it as a geography study?

Wings2fly
    Participant

I include it in modules 5 & 6.  We look on the map at locations we read about, too.  We have used Dover’ s 50 States coloring book and games like 10 Days in the USA and Scrambled States.  There is also a Geopuzzle you could use.  I think the map work is included in the Visits to North America, module 6.

Monica
    Participant

We did states and capitals this past year as part of Module 5.  We used:

-Visits to North America
    -SheppardSoftware.com
    -geography games (10 Days in the USA is great)
    -the Wakko States & Capitals song

HollyS
    Participant

Two of my kids covered it in their homeschool co-op.  I’m not sure what they used, but it had lots of singing (they did states and capitals).

I’m planning on covering it next year when we get to Module 5.  We love geopuzzles and I’m sure I’ll pick the North America one up at that point.

Laurie
    Participant

Thanks all. I am still trying to let go of the PS mentality that I went through when we studied the states early in grade school but module 5&6 are later. I have to tell myself they will get the information and not to try to cram everything into the first few years.

Wings2fly
    Participant

We also have a large wall map by their room so when we are reading about a state in a book, I have them go to the map and find it.  Or the state may come up in conversation – grandma is going to Florida, etc.  They are exposed to the states with the large wall poster and can refer to it at American holidays if you read about the 4th of July and look at Pennsylvania or Virginia, for example.  I have also seen rugs with the United States and world maps that might work in your home.

Also if your library has them, you could go through the picture book series of Discover America alphabet books, like S is for Sunshine for Florida.  You could do a few each month.  We have done some of these, maybe 10 of them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘50 state study’ is closed to new replies.