4 Days on, 4 Days Off?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My husband works 4 days on and then 4 days off. Our days are pretty unpredictable when he’s off. Do you foresee issues (forgetting things, etc.) with using that schedule for school (school when he works)? I have teens and then an almost 8yo, 5yo and almost 3yo.

my3boys
    Participant

I wouldn’t think that would be a problem and I’m sure they wouldn’t forget much, if anything, by using that schedule. You could always continue free reads on the “off” days, if you wanted. And, maybe music/instrument practices would still continue as well. I’d imagine if your children are involved in outside activities that those would still continue, or not. And that would keep some things from being forgotten.

A lot of families do traditional school years/breaks, like us, and I don’t feel my children forget what they’ve learned, at least not too much, anyway. That’s a lot longer of a break than 4 days on, 4 days off but it’s our preference.

HTH

Regan
    Participant

We don’t do 4 days on a 4 days off, but we do a 4 day school week and a 3 day weekend!  It works really well for our family and the kids are in a good routine!  There is flexibility if we need it as that is so important!  Most of the time we do school Monday through Thursday and take off Friday through Sunday.  However, if the need arises, we can take off a different day (like Tuesday) and then do school on Friday.  All of that to say, I see no problem with that!  If your husband works 4 days and then is off for 4 days, I am assuming you would sometimes be doing school on the weekend.  Would that be a problem for your family?  Maybe some other moms can give feedback on this kind of schedule.

jmac17
    Participant

I think it could work. As long as you have a well organized plan I don’t think you would forget things. I think if we were to do this, I would try to plan certain things that could happen even when Dad is off, such as going on a family trail walk for Nature Study or planning to read a literature (or other) book for bedtime reading, regardless of whether it’s one of your ‘on’ or ‘off’ days. That would lighten up the dedicated school days to be able to fit more of the other things in. You can also adapt the number of holiday weeks you take so that you still get a reasonable number of ‘school days’ in a year.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘4 Days on, 4 Days Off?’ is closed to new replies.