3 weeks on, 1 week off ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

If you do this, do you school year round?  I’m guessing yes, but just wanted to double check.  🙂  Thanks!

my3boys
    Participant

Yes, I believe that is what you’d be doing.  I have considered several schedules myself, but my kids never feel like any of them constitute as real *breaks,* they believe in a *summer* break:) 

I guess I do, too, since we go camping alot and do other things during the summer that the boys only have a chance for during those months (classes/camps offered through the city).

hth

Susan

This is the schedule we used this past school year and it’s a great fit for us.  Yes, we do school year-round.   Tomorrow will be our last day of this school year.  We’ll have three weeks off then start our new school year on July 5th.  Then we’ll start again with 3 weeks on/1 week off.  In December we’ll have 3 weeks off. 

Blessings,

Susan

Nina
    Participant

That sounds good Susan.  Do you get in 180 days of school with that schedule?

KellyP

Ooh Interesting.  I know you said this works, my concern is does it feel “choppy” doing it in 3 week chunks?  How does the flow go?

3 weeks off in Dec and in the summer sound great – right about what I was thinking, so I will have to play with the calendar a bit. 

I was thinking 6 on and 1-2 off -with one being more of a fieldtrip week.  I’d love to hear what others are doing.

krommama

We school roughly six weeks on one week off.  We are finishing this school year this coming week.  Then we’ll have five weeks off.  We also take about 6 or 7 weeks off from Thanksgiving to New Years.  So we have Term 1 between summer and the holidays, then after New Years, we have Term 2 and Term 3.

csmamma
    Participant

We do 3 months on, 1 month off all year round.

On – Jan, Feb, March (Term 1)

Off – April

On – May, June, July (Term 2)

Off  – August

On  – September, October, November (Term 3)

Off – December

Blessings! Heather

Susan

Nina,

Sorry for the late reply–I’ve been having computer problems.  Yes, we do get our 180 days in with the 3 wk on/1 wk off schedule.  We just started our new school year today (7/5)! 

KellyP,  I haven’t found this schedule to feel choppy at all.   I feel like we stay more in a routine and having 1 week off is not too long; it’s just a nice break.  It keeps us from getting burned out.  We used to do 9 weeks on and 4 weeks off but the 9 weeks was way too long and we got out of our routine with 4 weeks off.   It’s definitely a personal thing as to what you’d prefer.  

Blessings,

Susan

KellyP

I’m going to give it a whirl – and as I thought about it I really like the concept of that week off being a “flex” week for fieldtrips, big projects of simply just OFF!  I also loved out it worked out having thanks giving week off, 2 weeks at Christmas and so on.  I wasn’t so sure, but now the more I think about it, the more I like – thanks everyone who responded. I appreciate the encouragement.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘3 weeks on, 1 week off ?’ is closed to new replies.