2 yo BOY birthday ideas?? Please!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My son is turning 2 – umm…next week!  And I have no idea what to get him!  We have 4 children (the two older than him are girls) and a smaller-ish =) house.  I just don’t want to throw more money into toys he won’t play with, kwim?  What have your boys just LOVED?  What would be worth the money?  One idea someone gave me was geotrax, but my parents are getting him two sets off Craigslist, so I need another idea. 

Thanks!!

Erin

artcmomto3
    Participant

What about a bubble mower?  Even after the bubbles quit working my son still loved to push it, esp. when DH was out mowing/trimming.  Does he like puzzles?  You could get some boyish ones with vehicles.  My boys love anything with wheels, so you can’t go wrong there.  Dump trucks, cars, motorcycles, you name it.

Mandi
    Participant

I second anything with wheels.  I’m trying to think back to when my now 6 y.o. was 2.  He LOVED cars and trucks.  Maybe a big floor puzzle.  The mower is also a good idea.  We just had a mower w/o bubbles, and he still uses it.  One of the best things was a grill we got at a garage sale for $1.  He still plays with it.  A wooden train set…maybe that you could find second hand? 

Janell
    Participant

With seven children in our family, I totally agree with you about buying only quality, useful, imaginative toys.

Large wooden blocks rule.

We once overflowed a bathtub when the entire family was so preoccupied building a super ramp and tower from all of our blocks. This is the one universally loved “toy” that is still going strong. The older children have not abandoned them even with a fancy Knex set and Snap Circuit set in the house. The youngest one has figured out how to stack them and stack them and stack them and stack…she is about 18 months old and likes to clean up the blocks too.

dmccall3
    Participant

My son loves his trains but really came into them more at 3. He loves any type of puzzle. Legos… Then there are always books. 🙂

mom2fourboys
    Participant

Ok, you all are going to laugh but…. a box. I spent a lot of money on presents this year for my two year old for his birthday and the biggest hit was a large box that my mom gave him. She had cut a window in it and a front door with a door handle. It is big enough for him to get in it and play with a few toys. It is still being played with and he will be three in February. Most of the presents I bought him are stuffed in the toy box and forgotten. 

maynegirl

Both of my boys have LOVED the Talkabout series of Usborne board books at around the age of 2. We get one for each of the younger cousins for their 2nd birthdays, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Usborne-Talkabout-Books/dp/0794517951/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316140614&sr=1-1

They both constantly ask to listen to this CD by the Christian group Go Fish when we’re driving:

http://www.amazon.com/Party-Like-Preschooler-Go-Fish/dp/B0043RSTIQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1316140782&sr=1-2

I also second artcmomto3’s suggestion of a bubble mower. Every weekend during the spring & summer my little guys take turns following daddy around the yard with the mower. That one toy was worth every penny we paid for it, & they were cheaper than I thought they’d be.

MelissaB
    Participant

I didn’t read the replies, but my boys have always LOVED the metal Tonka dump truck ~ http://www.amazon.com/Tonka-TS4000-Steel-Dump-Truck/dp/B003552MKS/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1316142851&sr=1-1

My two youngest (7 & 9) still play all the time with the dump trucks (yes plurl) and other heavy equipment we’ve acquired over the years out in their “dirt site”.  It’s construction ville here! lol

momtomany
    Participant

A couple of matchbox cars and a piece of cardboard with some roads drawn on it (maybe a few trees or buildings to make it fancy).  I find the boys at that age loved something they could hold in their hand and carry their treasure around with them… to bed, in their pocket, everywhere.

houseofchaos
    Participant

A Runners bike:

http://www.runners-bike.com/

They’re even great indoors, if you’ll allow it.

baileymom

Our youngest turns 2 October 6th, and we’re doing these:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009KJ1LA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER, and some books. We have 5 boys, and 2nd the suggestions for the Tonka dump trucks, wooden blocks, Matchbox cars, and bubble mower. My little boys also like Little People and the Schleich animals.

Kathi

momtomany
    Participant

We have a tricycle in our house… yes, IN our house… that we got at a garage sale for $3 (a nice solid metal one with a place to stand on the back too).  It has been wonderful.  It has been used everyday by the 20mo old (she can’t pedal yet, but she rides it “Flintstone-style”), the 3yo, and even the 5yo… (sometimes the 7yo and the 11yo too, lol!)  We have the square footage and our furniture isn’t too crowded… with the stairs in the center of our house, they can ride in a nice circle… and no carpets… So, it wouldn’t be suitable for every house, but it has been one of the best toys we’ve ever gotten for them.

Tukata
    Participant

Thanks everyone!

Maybe part of my problem is we already own soooo many toys.  Embarassed  He’s the third child, and our first child was the first grandchild, niece, etc. on my side so she always got a TON from everyone on her birthday and Christmas.  We do have a bubble mower and he does LOVE it.  I may look at some blocks..we had a set but by now they are so scattered it’d be nice to have one good set.  Someone mentioned toy animal figures – anyone else have a thought on those?  I LOVE the box idea!  We just don’t really have the space…but maybe next summer I can make him one for outside.  =) 

Thanks everyone!  Oh and we haven’t done the matchbox cars yet – I wasn’t sure with the small pieces – are they pretty secure?  (Like no wheels falling off?)

momtomany
    Participant

The matchbox cars are fine… the knock-offs from the dollar store and so on, not so great.  We keep them in a plastic box together.  It’s something we surprised them with from time to time and now we have a little collection of about 2 dozen.

The toy animal figures are nice.  Schleich are the ones we prefer, but they are a little pricey.  We accumulated our animal collection from visits to the zoo… in the gift shop at the end of the visit we would let them choose one animal each.  That way, we eliminated all the other choices in the store and got outta there quicker.  With 7 children, collecting over many years, we have quite a collection now.  They don’t play with the animals all the time, but they come out occasionally and are enjoyed.  Our neighbours have a little boy though… he LOVES animals and he plays with his collection everyday.

artcmomto3
    Participant

My 18 mo. old plays with his big brother’s match box cars and Hot Wheels.  Seriously, anything with wheels!  Oh, and if you don’t mind toys with batteries he also loves Leapfrog Scout!  Whenever he’s fussing my DD goes running for it and brings it to him to play with.  He has recently figured out how to press the paws to make it talk and play music, so we don’t have to do it for him all the time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘2 yo BOY birthday ideas?? Please!’ is closed to new replies.