2 modules a year?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ok So I have not actually started homeschooling yet, I mean the kids are always learning but we arent structured.  dd is almsot 4 and ds just turned 2.

I love the history modules but they seem a little slow paced. So i was thinking of doing 1 a year for the first 6 years.  Then in middle and high school doing 2 a year so we go through them 2x during those older years. 

We would end up doing all of them 3x.  obviously planning 14 years in advance is a little crazy, but I am a planned and in a perfect world I would have every day scheduled until they graduate right now. (which would be really stupid and time consuming, and a waste of the time)

thanks

melindab72

I’m not sure that completing the mods quickly and then repeating them two more times is the best way to go about it, but every family is different. We’re in Mod 1 and some days we end of completing two lessons (Bible) because we’re loving what we’re reading and don’t want to stop. But some lessons, like when we read ‘Letters from Egypt’, and so taxing that that’s all we can do in a day.

Kayla
    Participant

I figured go slower in the younger years. and then speed up when they are older so that it hasnt been 6 years since they learned about whatever time period they were on in year 7. Also, of all the history plans I have seen thsi is by far the slowest moving.  Sonlight, MFW, CC all have 3-4 year cycles

Titus2mama

We have used them as a 4 year rotation.

That breaks down to doing 2 lessons every other day. That gets them through all of history once in elementary, once middle school and once in high school.

We are enjoying g it immensely and have not found it over whelming at all.

4myboys
    Participant

We completed Mod 1 (with tweaking because I didn’t have all the listed books) and are now about one and a half weeks into mod 2.  I expect to finish mod 2 (with the exception of the Bible portion) by mid June.  We do history and geography on alternate days (so 2-3 times each per week).  This is fine for my 3rd and 6th graders.  I plan to continue this two mods a year, which will allow my older ds to repeat the cycle in 9th -11th.  I won’t require history in 12th, though it would be a potential elective.  My younger so would be able to complete 3 cycles by the end of 11th.  I am not yet sure how this is going to pan out in the long term.  The mods do get heavier as we go along.  We may not get every book in each time, but we’ll still have a good understanding of history.  I will also do a lot of those extra books as summer read alouds.  For example, over the summer we will finish whatever OT readings are left, and probably read one of the Rome books. There are lots of books in Mod 4, so we may substitute some of them in the format of movies or use them the following summer as read alouds.

Titus2mama

I just follow her schedule but do 1 extra lesson every other day.

Titus2mama

Probably anywhere from half hour to 45 minutes

If it is a double Bible day it takes us longer. We have all the family read round, 2 verses a piece. And some of the younger ones take a while 😉 it is fun to watch them progress through out the year. But can sometimes be tedious. Knowing your audience, children, and taking a chapter for mama to be the only reader helps immensely on some days

We have an hour scheduled for morning circle time

We do

Our churches verse of the week

Family scripture portion

SCM schedule

And 1 of poet, artist, hymn/song or Shakespeare

Unless we get highly side tracked we can finish that all in an hour

LindseyD
    Participant

I’m going to agree w/ melindab. Going thru the modules twice seems enough to me. You’re following the basic overall plan, but then adding more independent study the second time around. It would seem redundant to go through them three times each. If the children are keeping a Book of Centuries, that will give them a handy reference for a lifetime so they remember important characters and events throughout time. Plus, if your children attend college, they’re likely to cover some of the same material again, so I could see that becoming very old after a while. Now, if your children find a certain time period they’re very interested in, I would definitely encourage further study, perhaps on their own time by providing extra books, periodicals, appropriate movies and documentaries. My son is just 9, but he became very interested in WW2 following the Olympics this past summer. We are not studying this time period in our family history studies, but I have provided some excellent books for him, which he can be found reading during his free time. Now, when we come to this time period, he’ll already have an excellent foundation laid, and he’ll be able to enjoy even more books and discussion about it. I know there are infinite numbers of books written about every period in world history, but I don’t know that it’s necessary to try to cover every single thing about every single world event. There is no way we can teach our children all the whole body of knowledge. It’s just impossible. So my opinion is to follow CM practices and keep them throughout all of your homeschooling. The lessons will get longer and the studies more in-depth, but the children should still have a love of learning, which I think might be diminished if they’re made to study the same things over and over again.

Blessings,

Lindsey

4myboys
    Participant

Most curriculums go through a four year cycle 3 times, and I personally think there’s no reason not to.  Each level the child will bring a different perspective with them.  I can’t say I’ll use the same spine each time, and my focus will probably be different each time through.  This time our main focus is on Bible. History and that is where I am putting most of our attention.  Next time around I may have them focus more on literature/biographies and do one of the Bible studies. Each time through we will add another layer.  

Having said that, I am not locking us into anything.  We need Canadian history in grade 10 or 11, so as long as we get that I’ll be satisfied.  

Titus2mama

I like going through History 3 times with the children as it hits each of the 3 stages of learning

4myboys
    Participant

We rarely take more than 30 minutes for both Bible and our History or Geography lesson, though sometimes we might go 45 if we have lots to talk about.

I agree that six years to ge through the Bible is too long. Three years is the only way to get my older son through twice, and six years would only get my younger boy through once with four years left over. He wouldn’t have modern histroy at the high school level without combining or skipping years. It is one of the delemias of keeping them in the same History cycle. It doesn’t work out well for someone.

eawerner
    Participant

To the OP, you may want to check out Veritas Press.  They have one history cycle that ends in 6th, then repeat the cycle two more times in 7th-9th and 10th-12th with their ‘Omnibus’ curriculum.  I’ve thought about doing it the same way but my oldest will only be in 2nd grade so I’m trying not to worry about it too much!

I think a 3 year cycle will be as intense or relaxed as you make it.  

Kayla
    Participant

thanks for all the responses.  It is so nice getting so information from moms with a couple years under their belts.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘2 modules a year?’ is closed to new replies.