2 CM Reading Sessions for an Older Child?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi! I have an 9 year old son who is a struggling reader. We’ve worked on several things, and I think our last issue is fluency and chunking. We did a CM style lesson this morning, working on sight words. We did the first part of the poem “Twas the night before Christmas”, and it went really well. MUCH more interesting than re-reading the same passage for fluency. He really liked using the magnetic letters and then shuffling the words into different sentences. I stopped us after about 10 minutes, even though we’d only done the first 5 words. (We would have gone to 15, but I had to separate the words from the first stanza, and we only had a limited time sibling-free.)

To make a long post shorter, I was planning to have him do some phonics drill later, but I’d rather do the word building. Is that a terrible idea, to do 2 short lessons a day (one in the morning and one in the afternoon)? I know he can do it, he has a great attention span. I think he would enjoy it as well.

What is the time frame you’d aim for with a child his age? I think he could do 15-20 minutes pretty easily.

Thought? Any other tips?

Amy

kymom

Amy,

IMHO I would do the second lesson. If his attention span allows and he’s enjoying learning I say keep going and  enjoy!! BTW… my boys are 9 and 10 so 15- 20 minutes should be fine, you can tell when you’re starting to loose them. 

Becky

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘2 CM Reading Sessions for an Older Child?’ is closed to new replies.