106 Days of Creation having a hard time

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We are on lesson 9 of 106 Days of Creation and I am having a hard time. Embarassed I’m not a science person.  An example of how I am struggling is lesson 8.  It says, “Explain that rainbows – and all color – are possible only because of light…” How am I supposed to explain that when I don’t know anything about it or understand it?  I don’t see anything that says where I’m supposed to find that information.  This has happened more than once.  My children are getting pretty frustrated because of this as am I.  Am I missing something or is it expected that the teacher will know about these things?  I looked in my Handbook of Nature Study and didn’t see anything that would help me.

Now, if the answer to my question is that I have to have foreknowledge about science, is there another science program that we could use that is similar (using living books but having a general overall plan for presenting science) for a K and 4th grader that doesn’t require knowledge? Laughing

Thank you!

Bookworm
    Participant

Polly,

One thing I would suggest is that you look for books in the children’s section of the library.  I’ve seen children’s books in my small town’s library that explain things like color and rainbows.  If you just glance ahead in the manual, and then jot down areas you want some explanations on a kid level, you should be able to pick up some books that will help you and your children.

We really liked the God’s Design science books ourselves–they always had explanations that the kids thought were clear.  I did feel fairly comfortable with elementary science topics though, but I thought the explanations were pretty good.  (Now if only I could find something to help me feel comfortable teaching high school physics).  

I think the library book route would be a practical solution without spending any more money or much additional time.

Laura.bora
    Participant

We have used Bill Nye the Science Guy to help introduce topics.  They are so informative, hold the kids interest, and it helps me have a better understanding of what we are learning about. 

Here is the one on light:

http://www.gamequarium.org/cgi-bin/search/linfo.cgi?id=7877

To look for others, go to “video” on the top, on the right it says “Search for Videos”.  Type in the topic and Bill Nye (like “Light Bill Nye”, or “Fish Bill Nye”)

Bill Nye is not a Christian and has a lot of “millions of years ago” – however, we use this as a jump off point to discuss the foolishness of evolution.  I have a K and 3rd grader.  Even my 2yo. loves this show.

Richele Baburina
    Participant

Hi Polly,

As someone that doesn’t have a great understanding of science, I constantly have to tell my children  “I don’t know but let’s find out together.” 

The reality here is that I take the science books to bed with me in a basket and spend a few minutes reviewing things the night before.  

For Lesson 8, you may want to look at pages 48-49 of Neil Ardley’s book in addition to p. 53 that Sonya suggests.  The water/mirror experiment is super-simple and you can see how what we see as “white” light is actually made up of all the colors of the rainbow.  Ardley also gives a few short explanations here with a diagram.

Light is so significant – just imagine, it was the first power source created by God, coming even before the sun, moon and stars!

A great thing about Charlotte Mason’s methods is that we aren’t expected to know everything (or if we do have that knowledge we aren’t to just “tell”) but are relieved to act as the guide by our children’s side.   I just don’t want you to miss out on any of the enjoyment yourself.

Peace and joy multiplied!

Richele

thepinkballerina
    Participant

OOOOH, I liked that video about light. That explains it well! I too was looking at Lesson 9 for this fall and thinking i didn’t understand why all colors are in white light! I know I”d learned it in school but had forgotten. I do tell the girls it is hotter on white pavement because it reflects the light and the blacktops absorb the light.

If I don’t know something I just tell the girls, I don’t know and we go find out together. Mine get frustrated when the don’t know the answer to something, so I want them to know we DON’T know everything, but we can find out easily!

Tara

Polly
    Participant

Thanks for the help, Ladies!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘106 Days of Creation having a hard time’ is closed to new replies.