106 Days of Creation and Considering God’s Creation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m thinking of using the 106 Days of Creation with my children (grades 3, 6 & 8) this year and I notice that Considering God’s Creation (CGC) is used for older children activities along with some other books and experiments. Looking into that, it appears CGC is a complete science curriculum in itself. What are the reasons or benefits for using the 106 Days structure and not just working through the CGC as it is written? Would I be better just using CGC since I am using this for older children, including one who is older than the recommended grade for 106 Days? How different are the two programs?

Regan
    Participant

Corinna,

I am actually about to use 106 Days of Creation again this upcoming school year.  I used it several years ago and we really enjoyed it.  My younger kiddos are now old enough to enjoy it!   Considering God’s Creation is not a Charlotte Mason curriculum.  However, it is a great resource that can be used in a more Charlotte Mason way.  Sonya accomplishes this in 106 Days of Creation, which is essentially the lesson plans or guide you follow.  The student pages from Considering God’s Creation are scheduled throughout 106 Days of Creation lessons as well as other experiments, living books and videos.  As a side note, there is a teachers book that comes along with Considering God’s Creation but I don’t think it is used in 106 Days of Creation at all,  if I’m remembering correctly. So essentially in true Charlotte Mason form, CGC student pages are used in the 106 Days of Creation study, but there is less “teaching” or “lecturing” from the teacher and more living books and experiments added in.   It is done simply in a less is more kind of way, if that makes sense.  One of the many reasons I love SCM!!!   Oh and there are also some videos recommended, if you can find them!  If you go to the 106 Days of Creation in the bookstore and view the sample you should be able to look through some of the lessons and get a feel for it.  Blessings mama!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Regan

Corinna
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Regan.

That helps me understand the difference between the two and how they work together. I have actually bought the 106 Days so have it here and it was as I was browing through it that I realised the older kids needed the CGC as well.

I hope you and your children all enjoy using it again this year as well.

Corinna

Regan
    Participant

That’s great that you already have it!  We really enjoyed it last time.  I love the digital copy so it is easy to print all the student pages or just the ones you need!  We didn’t do all of the activities from CGC but enjoyed the ones we did.  I think this time around we will be adding in more living books from the SCM living science book list!  We will also be focusing on nature study and doing it more consistently.  We need to work on that 🙂   Hope you enjoy it!  🙂

Lori
    Participant

Regan, did you find “Considering God’s Creation” to be busywork?  I have it from many years ago with my oldest daughters, before I was specifically doing Charlotte Mason and I just remember a lot of cutting and pasting:). I’m trying to decide what to use for my 10-year-old.  Thank you!

Lori

Regan
    Participant

Lori, I didn’t enjoy some of the activities in Considering God’s Creation so we only did some of them.  I wasn’t as prepared the first time around.  I really enjoyed 106 Days of Creation but didn’t enjoy all of the CGC activities.  So, this time around I am more prepared.  I printed out the list of Living Science Books on Simply Charlotte Mason and went through it and highlighted all the books on topics covered in 106 Days of Creation.  I have slowly been gathering them and now have more living books on Light, Shadows, Color, The Water Cycle, Weather, Clouds, Geology, Seeds, Plants, Astronomy (Earth, moons, stars, sun, etc.), Insects, Birds, Mammals, Amphibians, Fish, Reptiles and the Human Body!  I have written them into the lesson plans.  If I don’t care for the activity, we just don’t do it.  We have a book or two that we will sprinkle throughout the week that covers the topic we are studying and I have a list of others I have written in the margins should anyone be interested in going deeper 🙂  I am going through right now and looking at the recommended activities from Considering God’s Creation.  I am marking the ones I know we want to do so I can make sure I am prepared for those.  Here is the link for the Living Science Books I have used.  I have found it very helpful and I am slowly working my way through it and purchasing more as I am able.  I am keeping an eye out for some hard to find books on the list that are out of print too!  It is such a great list of all around great books and divided by topic.  Enjoy!  🙂    https://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/curriculum-guide/individual-graded-subjects/living-science-books/

Lori
    Participant

Thank you so much, Regan!  You are sweet to put so much thought into your response:)  I’ve printed out the book list so I can see what I may already have on my shelves.  You may have just convinced me to add it to my SCM order!  Now to figure out which history to do:)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘106 Days of Creation and Considering God’s Creation’ is closed to new replies.