10 minute narration? :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • My 7 year old narrated for 10 minutes today from two chapters we read in Torches of Joy (core 5 SL book about bringing the Gospel to the Dani tribe of New Guinea). I was STUNNED. This child has had great difficutly in the past, but today for some reason it just spilled from him. The two chapters encompassed at least four bible stories along with how the author adapted them to the primitive people.

Miracles do happen. I wish I had written it down because it even made sense and was orderly. πŸ™‚

gr8tfulCMmom
    Participant

I’m so glad you posted this (and congrat’s by the way). I’m looking forward to one of my DD’s getting more then the last sentence I read out.

This was a thought of mine this morning concerning my oldest DD. How long do we let them go while narrating?? This one will go on…and on….and on….AND ON! She doesn’t miss a syllable, voice inflection or PUNCTUATION MARK in anything, whether it is read to her or she has read it.

I know this is a “good” thing, but we narrate every reading. I bounce between DD’s and randomly pick one to do the narrating. When my oldest is picked, we all just hunker down and get ready for the long haul. The other DD even said she better take a potty break before one of these narrations began.

I ask her to highlight and perhaps just pick her favorite parts, but you can see this look of horror cross her face. She just “has” to tell me everything, in order, exactly as she remembers it. Which is surprisingly about all of it.

Is this ok? She’s not ready for written narration yet, too young (we tried), and there’s no getting around a narration. Should I skip any subject, at some point during the day she WILL tell me about. She completely enjoys narrating. I just find myself getting fidgety and wanting to hurry her through.

I hope this doesn’t steal your excitement caroline4kids. My long-winded one is 8 so maybe you’ll have the same “blessing” to deal with :-). But I do love it when I see exactly the things Charlotte said we would, begin to appear in my DD’s. She hasn’t been wrong yet!

Tonni

richpond
    Participant

Caroline,

That is wonderful!! And it is encouraging to me. There is HOPE! πŸ™‚

Shelly

I am completely fine with long narrations. It is fun to see that they remember enough to even get a summary out. I can see how our long-winded children will be able to just tranfer that to paper. Frankly, I was happy to see that if my child should have to do a “real” book report that they wouldn’t be completely flumoxed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘10 minute narration? :)’ is closed to new replies.