10-15 min. of math?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We are using BJU for math this year for 2nd and 1st graders.  We do love it, it is very hands-on, even though it’s technically written for a classroom.  However, we cannot complete a lesson in 10-15 min.  I broke it up today into 3 segments of 10 or 15 min. each (depending on the kid), and we still didn’t quite finish.  Close for 1, not even close for the other.  Because of it’s structure, if I spend only 10 or 15 min. a day on it, we will NEVER finish the book.  LOL  I do love the hands-on, and some of it is really easy for them.  I skip what I know they know, spend minimal review time for things they mostly know, and then do the new stuff more thoroughly.  I find that flash card time is very difficult to keep within the allotted time, especially as we add more and more to the stack.  I also like the worksheet part, though, where they get to practice it on paper.  What did CM do for math that I am not quite getting?  I know I haven’t gotten through the books yet (still on the first book – first chapter or 2 even! Embarassed ).  Do you have any suggestions for this?

suzukimom
    Participant

First off, I’ve heard (although not verified) that CM did have a longer math class than other subjects – more like 20 to 30 minutes in the early grades….   so If they can attend that long, do a longer session.  And yes, splitting it into a couple of sessions could help.

2nd – I’m not familiar with BJU, but sometimes you just gotta go the speed things are going, even if that means you don’t finish a “book” a year….  (or whatever would be expected in BJU)…. 

hope that helps some…

Rachel White
    Participant

I think all hands-on stuff takes longer than the recommended short lessons in any subject-sometimes that good, sometimes not; just depends on the family. I think if some of the hands on is “really easy for them”, I would skip it; it’s probably not challenging enough and it could be a tremendously unecessary time sucker. If they want to go back and do it on their own free time, that’s fine, but when something is too easy, I think it’s time to move on to the harder stuff during the designated subject’s “learning time”; besides, I think it makes the brain weaker, IMO.

Second, don’t feel compelled to every problem (I think you alluded to that, but thought I should add that).

Lastly, regarding the flash card dilemma; I began noticing the same in our Foreign LAnguage (the only thing w/cards). So what I decided was that the oldest words, that he was quite familiar with, we do only once a week; whereas the newer words or words that weren’t quite ready to graduate to the “once a week pile”, were done daily. Sort of a variation on the Scripture Memory box. In fact, you could use the falshcards exactly like the SMB system. This would cut down your FC time drastically.

Hope that makes sense, Rachel

Sara B.
    Participant

Thank you both for your responses.  Suzukimom, that makes perfect sense.  I will keep splitting the time then.

Rachel, what an awesome idea about the SMB variation for flash cards!  Yeah, she knows a lot of them completely by heart.  Others, not so much, and still others she doesn’t know at all.  This will be great!  I think I will get another file box (or 2 or 3 or 4 – for addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication).  This will definitely help her out a lot.  Now how to do this with 2 kids in addition at once without getting more than one box….  LOL  If that is the worst of my problems, I am doing very well tonight.

Thanks again!

Rachel White
    Participant

Sara, how about color coding the cards for each child with a highlighter?

Rachel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘10-15 min. of math?’ is closed to new replies.