1-year-old Nature Study

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • My son will turn 1 in less than a month. I want to start some sort of nature study but at this age he likes to explore with his mouth a bit too much. What is the best way to help him explore? We live in Tanzania, Africa and as exciting as that sounds we don’t have Zebra and Elephants in our backyard (close but not THAT close). And how can you tell which flowers/plants they need to stay away from – as far as being poisonous?

Thanks for any help!

Oh. Or should I just hold off on this for a while?

Thanks

Shanna
    Participant

At this age the I would just take them outside and let them play in the grass. I would also just say animal and plant names as you recognize them. Just in the same way as you say “that’s daddy”. Nothing serious. I wouldn’t worry too much about stuff going in the mouth. They all do it and all need the daily allowance of dirt!!! LOL!!! Of course you want to be cautious that he wont choke on something. I would also recommend that you keep a nature journal for him. It starts the habit now and he will learn that it is just something that you do when you do your nature study.

Esby

I suggest simply spending lots of time outdoors together and seeing what you see. You don’t have to do too much instruction or teaching – just explore and enjoy.

Take walks or plop down on a blanket in the grass. Maybe you’ll find an anthill to watch or birds nesting. Maybe you’ll look for new buds on trees. Turn over a rock and see what creepy crawlies live under it. Keep the conversations light, is my advice, as the goal is to develop a love for the outdoors at this age and start working on the skill of observation. All this can be done very gently with not much required from you except an interest in nature yourself.

If your child is able to wander a bit on his own or if he engages himself in an activity outdoors, that’s a good opportunity for you to perhaps sketch or look through guidebooks. Don’t expect to get too much done, lol! Letting a toddler have a few minutes to play alone is good way to develop his attention span, and seeing you draw and study nature is a good teaching tool even if he is too young to be interested in sketchbooks and guidebooks himself.

Mainly, enjoy seeing the natural world through his curious eyes and give him lots of opportunities to check out the exciting world around him. What a fun time.

Sorry to go on and on! I should just say, “Go outside and have fun” and not prattle so much.

CindyS
    Participant

I think it’s wonderful that you are wanting to get your little one outside and enjoying nature. It will give him a love for the outdoors and you have an opportunity to learn about nature. I would do it for your own education at this point. You can learn the plants and critters and begin your own nature journal (in between chasing the toddler). What a wonderful momento that will be. Then, when the little guy is older and asks, “What’s this?” you may even have an answer for him! I do not think I speak just for myself when I say that nature study is one habit that is difficult to cultivate once the children keep us so busy. But you will already have that habit. Also, purchasing things like identification guides now will save you some money later on when you have to purchase things like field microscopes for your son!

So, from here in Pennsylvania, U.S.A., just what IS in your backyard? 🙂

Blessings,

Cindy

It’s funny. I don’t even know what’s in my backyard – haha. I don’t like the outdoors so I find myself in the house all day every day which is fine for me – but – I have a boy now and it seems it would serve him better if I developed a better love of nature – and it would be good for me as well I’m sure… I don’t even know where to begin to do this Nature Study stuff. Hmmm…

CindyS
    Participant
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘1-year-old Nature Study’ is closed to new replies.