5 paragraph report, essay, research writing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

If you have a source you have used and LOVE for one of these topics and would like to share what it is and why you like it I would appreciate it.  I need something that is self-taught to the student.  We have not even touched on these topics and will need to coming up in 9th grade. (I know better late than never to start)  

Also, if you are not a grammar/english major by trade how do you correct, edit, etc their work in these subjects?

Sue
    Participant

I am looking into possible resources for these topics myself, but I do have a suggestion for correcting/editing student work. A couple of homeschooling moms and I touched on this last week in a conversation about dissecting for biology. She loves doing it and suggested that we send our kids to her house to dissect when needed. Then she mentioned how difficult it is for her to grade her 12th grade son’s English papers and asked if one of us could do that in trade for the dissecting lessons.

If you could find someone–a friend or relative, or another homeschooling parent–who is skilled enough at writing to do this for you, that would be one suggestion. Or, you could try to find a college student majoring in English who might correct your child’s work, maybe in exchange for doing laundry or a home-cooked meal if you can’t afford to pay them to do so.

TailorMade
    Participant

I am a huge IEW fan. The theme based writing lessons are designed well enough that a student in highschool could use them in a self directed way. Last year, our eldest daughter (then 16) thought it fairly unnecessary for me to “teach” the lessons to her. She had access to the Teacher’s edition, but the Student Book and Student Resource Notebook were usually plenty for her to tackle the assignments on her own. The best part…the assignment completion checklists teach the student how to edit and grade the paper on their own (if you aren’t going to do it.) My kids always know their “grade” before I even read the paper. ;0)

Our 12yos is doing the Medieval TBWLs this year. He’s not doing them completely independent of me as we start the assignments out on Monday with three other families. He completes them with some direction (accountability is very important) from me during the remainder of the week. Some lessons take him more time than others depending on his focus, but he has done a great job so far this semester. We started the 9th assignment this week. The lessons are coordinating very well with SCM Module 4, so I’m super excited about that aspect of it, too!!!

Hth,

Becca<><

TailorMade
    Participant

P.S. We start a mini research paper next week. It will be completed over 4 weeks.

Blessings,

Becca<><

Claire
    Participant

I am an English Lit major and I wouldn’t feel completely comfortable grading their papers.  I don’t find the technical things as challenging as writing style.  With so much writing and reading in that major, I found I became pretty snobbish about what styles that I liked.  Not that mine were something to write home about – 🙂 …. and I think everyone has their own style too.  That bogs me down when reading the writings of a 4th grader and 6th grader.  I get caught up in how I would have made the point differently, or used a different phrase.  I would vote for extra sets of eyes!  That works for me.

TailorMade
    Participant

This just showed up in my email in the past couple of days through the notes I get from The Peaceful Mom.

It may be of interest to you. My kids have editing checklists through IEW, but this might work in your situation.

Becca<><

http://www.thehomeschoolmom.com/blog/homeschooling/self-editing-checklist/#sthash.SGKs9CSl.W29RruFz.dpbs

Misty
    Participant

I printed that off.  Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘5 paragraph report, essay, research writing’ is closed to new replies.