2-3 year old Sunday School

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

A couple months ago I was put in charge of a 2-3 year old Sunday school class. I was given a picture for them to color with a bible story that was told in a manner that put it above their level in my opinion. Since I was having a hard time filling the hour I decided to buy a curriculum. This one is color, read a bible story, do craft, read a character building story. It fills the time but the poor kids don’t enjoy that kind of structure. Last week it hit me that I believe kids this age shouldn’t be sat at a table and taught lessons yet here I was doing just that. I decided I want to move my class outside. However I’m not sure what I want to do outside. I still want there to be some kind of lesson getting to them. I was thinking maybe narrarating a bible story to them. I was also thinking of playing out bible stories and having them wear robes and what not but that might be above their age level. There are only 2 little boys in the class, one is my son and I will have my 8 month old hanging out us. I would really appreciate any thoughts on how to teach the kids of this age while staying in line with Miss Mason’s philosophies.

missceegee
    Participant

When I taught 3 yo SS and 4-5 yo SS, I used this structure:

9:00-9:05 arrival – coloring sheets or quiet game at table

9:05-9:15 or 9:20 singing – active. Bible songs like Zaccheus was a wee little man; I may never march in the infantry; peter, James, and John in the fishing boat – I’d get us started and then take requests. This helps immensely with getting the wiggles out

9:20-9:35 – tell the Bible story from the actual Bible but paraphrasing with felt board – the kids all loved this – kids sat in chairs in semi circle, but the floor works, too

9:35-9:40 – we asked questions via a game format, but narration could easily be used instead – we did this in a moving, active way

9:40-9:45 – memory work (we memorized books of Bible, disciples, 12 tribes, and various verses at different times), on floor together mostly, but occasionally one on one

9:45-10:15 – outside or inside free play (sometimes we’d play Bible bingo)

This gave us some structure which in my opinion is needed, but kept lessons or sections short, varied, and interesting.

HTH you think through some options.

Christie

Kayla
    Participant

At our church the 2s and 3s are separate because there are too many. But both classes have all different instruments and they do praise and worship (2-3 songs, and switching instruments) a lesson, a coloring sheet, and a memory verse. They also play on the playground. Our service is 90 minutes, that is a long time with 15-20 3 year olds

5heartsathome
    Participant

More Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levinson addresses CM style education in Sunday School on pgs. 132-138. HTH

5heartsathome
    Participant

https://simplycharlottemason.com/scmforum/topic/sunday-school-what-would-it-look-like-cm

I listed a bunch of ideas on this thread. Hope this helps. 🙂

Kittykat
    Participant

I suppose it would depend on a few things- how much authority do you have in choosing what to do? What are your goals in your sunday school class? Bible memorization? Learning to pray for people? Knowing what goals you have will help.

But I was thinking of the book Character Sketches; it could give you a launch pad for taking the kids out into nature/playground and bringing nature back around to the glory/beauty of God. Just a thought.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘2-3 year old Sunday School’ is closed to new replies.