1000 Hours Outside Challenge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have needed some additional motivation to encourage my girls to be outside more hours each day in recent months.  I cam across this challenge (http://1000hoursoutside.com) and have really taken to the concept of meeting a goal as a family.  My girls are also fully on board and coming up with ideas to increase our outside time.  I wanted to challenge this group to pick a yearly goal for your family and join the challange. I will post monthly totals and ideas that have worked for us.  I hope to get many more great ideas from you and your families.  I wonder what the SCM total could be a year from now?  We started today and will go through the end of Sept 2015.  I am using simply calendar on my iPhone to add hours at the end of each day.  Is anybody already doing this?  Anyone want to join us?  I am off to eat dinner outside.  One of my girls’s many ideas to get us more outside time each day : )

Shannon
    Participant

Hi Cortney,

Thanks for posting this.  I was searching for a different nature post here and found this instead.  I am interested in significantly increasing our outside time and yet I’m not sure if I say I’ll do the year-long challenge that we’ll actually do it.  I’d like to say I’ll do a one week commitment but even that seems a bit…overwhelming…to commit to being outside for 20 hours next week.  I think right now I can commit to being outside 10 hours next week and I’ll use the week to figuring out what we can do and how to do it better.  If you’d like to PM me to exchange to keep in touch about this, please do.  I’m sure I’ll need a lot of help! 🙂

Cortney
    Participant

I love your honesty and your ability to find a committment that fits (challanges) your family.  1000 hours a year is going to be a challange for us, for sure – but we already spend at least 10 hours a week outside so I wanted to expand that.   I am not sure what is going to happen in the middle of the Indiana winter.  I told the kids that we may have to live outside in tents all next September to get our hours up to the goal of 1000 : )  Please let me know how next week goes.  I am pulling for you all to reach the 10 hours.  Do you live urban or more rural?  I think different ideas fit different lifestyles.  Also have you considered geocaching as a family activity?  It has brought my family many unexpectedly happy outdoor moments and led to some awesome nature finds (not planned – a bonus for me).  I will send a PM next week to see how it is going.  Best of luck!

Alicia Hart
    Participant

Love this!  Thanks for the link.

cherylramirez
    Participant

I wanna play! We do spend a lot of time outdoors.  I wonder if we could do 1000 hours…we spend a couple hours working in the yard and my husband was out in the driveway with his power tools making something for my daughter…we are off to a good start.

BlessedMommy
    Participant

Oooo! I SO need to join in on this! I have been finding it a challenge to get outdoors. But, I have made some recent changes in our homeschool plans so, I’m hoping that we will get out a lot more now.

Renee
    Participant

I don’t know if we could do 1000 hours, but I am thinking it would be fun to keep track of hours and see where we end up at the end of the year. Is it mainly just unstructured play you would count? We were outside a lot on Saturday, but a chunk of that time was spent wandering around a festival. At least we got some Vitamin D out of it Tongue out. I asked DH about putting in a gate to the cow pasture so we could have easier access to the woods out back and his aunt and uncles pond… he went a step further saying we could probably build a simple foot bridge to make crossing the creek easier for me with the 4 LOs. Thinking through how to handle the cows though – they can get a little “friendly” thinking we have treats, but the bull is a bit agressive at times. The neighbor’s dogs might be an issue as well…

Cortney
    Participant

Renee – I think it could be done many ways, but I count any time we spend outside.  Unstructured play, play parks, hiking, geocaching, festivals, picnics, farmers market, pool  . . . anything they are doing that is outside.  I count it all.  We have 47 hours since 10/1.  I am sure it will get a lot more difficult with the colder weather gets here.  I am trying to prepare and planning to buy some wool liners for under clothes and better outdoor gloves / mittens.  Is anyone else keeping track?  How has it been going?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘1000 Hours Outside Challenge’ is closed to new replies.