100 Easy Lessons…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • I’m trying to use this book to teach my son to read. He does great with all the spojken exercises and actually already knows all his letters and sounds. But he is not ready to begin the writing side of all this. He just turned 4 in October and his motor development is a little behind. I really struggle just helping him hold the pencil the write way. I’ve tried the finger trainers and all that and I constantly am positioning his hand for him. Even when positioned properly, he really struggles to control it. So I’m wondering what I should do. I’ve been skipping the written portion of the lessons and I’m wondering if this book will still be affective in the end. He gets soooooooo frustrated trying to trace anything. And when he colors he just wants to hold the crayons in a fist and scribble everywhere. I don’t want to frustrate him, but mentally he is definitely doing well with the mental side, but the motor skills just aren’t there. I’m just hoping he will get there sooner or later cuz its very frustrating for me. And I’m a little concerned about it all really. But I’m trying not to be.

I use 100 Easy lessons too.  Although my ds is a bit older, he is 7.  This is our second year of going through the book.  The first year he just struggled with it.  So it was put away and pulled out again this year.  I don’t follow it exactly, meaning I don’t do the scripting.  My ds doesn’t really like all that.  So we just go through and he reads all the sounds and we do the rhyming.  He also reads the stories.  He can write all the letters, we just do copywork instead.  Remember that you can adjust any program to fit your child’s needs!!

As far as your son goes though, imo, at 4 I wouldn’t worry too much about doing the handwriting yet.  I would just skip it altogether.  If he doesn’t appear ready for that then don’t do it.  You don’t want him to get frustrated.  If the fine motor skills aren’t there you can’t force them.  Let him write the letters in pudding or trace in sand if he wants to try that.  But really at 4, I wouldn’t push it yet.

Misty
    Participant

I agree with havefaith.  I have gone through this book with 4 kids now and each it was a bit different.  If writing is hard that’s ok.  Reading and writing ARE different on there own levels and you DON”T have to have one to do the other.  If he’s enjoying reading don’t stress him about the writing, or stress yourself.  Have fun teaching your little one to read and enjoy reading.

Let he guide you in this area, try copywork later again in a couple months or more.  He’s only 4!!  Be patient. Misty

He can kinda free write letters with a writing utensil on a large piece of paper, or with his finger in the shower fog on the glass etc. And he can make messy circles around things like if I say to circle which one doesn’t belong or something like that he can make a messy circle. But having to follow any kind of straight line is extremely difficult. SO I guess I’ll just keep letting him do the free writing when he wants and just use the 100 easy lessons to let him start to read. He loves it!

My 5 year old Loves writing in sand or KoolAid.  Pour out the powder on a baking sheet and have him form his letters.  Also shaving cream is great for this.  He also likes the tracing books where they follow the maze, I think Kumon has one for younger kids that would work. That would help him practice his fine motor skills.

mommix3

I started 100 ez lessons right before my daughter turned 6. She already knew how to form her letters and we were using explode the code so we skipped the handwriting portion.

Yes he likes the mazes and that kind of thing too. He is doing a lot better but its a very slow and frustrating process for him.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘100 Easy Lessons…’ is closed to new replies.