Free shipping on USA orders over $95!
The Bonus Features below are related to our book Hours in the Out-of-Doors: A Charlotte Mason Nature Study Handbook. Compiled into this volume are all of Charlotte’s comments on nature study, arranged by topic.
Be sure to check back here from time to time. We will be adding new and updated resources related to the book as we get them.
If you have some resources that you’d like to recommend or other ideas that you would like to share, please send us a message. Please note: We list these websites because we think they have some information that will be helpful to you, but we don’t necessarily agree with everything they may contain. As always, use discretion and wisdom.
- Raising Butterflies
- Ideas for Attracting Birds to Your Yard
- Collecting and Keeping Tadpoles
- Leaf Collections
Helpful Nature Study Web Sites
- The Handbook of Nature Study blog—Barb has done a wonderful job of making nature study seem less intimidating. Visit her helpful blog for a vast array of nature study ideas, tips, and encouragement!
- A discussion on our SCM Forum about selecting a good pair of binoculars.
- Some amazing up-close photos of insects and reptiles (Note: Be cautious about some people photographs included.)
- What’s That Bug?
- Bug Guide
Astronomy and Weather
Books Mentioned in Hours in the Out-of-Doors
- The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden
- Nature Notes of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden
- Geology by James Geikie
- Lessons in Elementary Botany by Daniel Oliver
- Fairy-Land of Science by Arabella Buckley
- Social Life in the Insect World by J. H. Fabre (Professor Bernard Miall translated J. H. Fabre’s books into English)
- The Wonders of Instinct by J. H. Fabre (Professor Bernard Miall translated J. H. Fabre’s books into English)
- The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley
- Madam How and Lady Why by Charles Kingsley
- Ernest Seton-Thompson’s books
- A Little Brother to the Bear by William J. Long
- Wild Nature’s Ways by Richard Kearton
- Living Animals of the World by Charles John Cornish
- British Birds by Francis Orpen Morris
Nature Study Books, Magazines, Notebooking Pages, and More
- The Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock
- Pocketful of Pinecones by Karen Andreola
- Living Science Books, Field Guides, and More
- Nature Friend magazine
- Birds and Blooms magazine