6 in January what to do? Grade 1 or "K"/early years

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My son will be kindergarten age this fall if he were attending public school. I’ve read the various directions from Charlotte Mason regarding the early years, however, he will turn 6 in January. Should I do a full year of “foundation year” or “early year” curriculum, should I begin with Grade 1, or should I do part of the year one way and start Grade 1 in January? 

He is beginning to read now (can read BOB books), knows all his letter sounds, etc. He struggles with fine-motor skills/handwriting.  

Any guidance is greatly appreciated! 

Sonya Shafer

My first instinct would be that unless he is really eager for formal lessons, give him another full year of Early Years growing time. Focus on good habits, time outside, reading together, and Bible. Save the Grade 1 formal lessons for next fall.

the9clarks
    Participant

Better late than early. Laughing I’ve done the eager beaver method before and I will never make that mistake again. Wasted time and wasted energy. It is SO MUCH easier to teach everything when they’re a little older. 

6boys1girl
    Participant

My first thought is just to take him where he’s at. Since he’s already starting to read, continue with that using short lessons and moving on as he’s ready. Since he’s not ready for handwriting, skip all that right now. He’ll let you know when he’s ready (my 5 year old just all of a sudden started trying to write his letters himself one day and that’s when I started working-slightly-on it).

Read him lots of really good living books. It’s easy to cover history, science, literature, Bible this way. If you just read a chapter a day (or even two), you’d easily cover many books without the stress. Go outside for nature study and play. Go on field trips-the zoo, art museum, nature or science museum, parks, grocery store, post office, working farm, etc… Whatever you can find-it’ll all give him real life experiences to help him as he moves into more formal education. Work more on life skills-setting the table, washing dishes, etc.

I would definitely work on some good habits. If he had attention and obedience down well, your first formal school year would be much easier.  Sonya’s Laying Down the Rails book and DVD are WONDERFUL!!! Wish I would have had them when my oldest were younger!

And most of all, have FUN. It’ll all go so fast!
    -Rebecca

lgeurink

I am a “wait till they are ready” kind of mom.  If you think ahead to when your kids are entering college, would you rather they were the youngest, less mature and with less experiences, or when they are the oldest, more mature and with more experience under their belt?  I would rather have them home for a year longer b/c once they leave, they are most likely not coming back!  I also agree with Rebecca above, if he is interested and ready to start reading, go with it.  As far as fine motor, try ways to stimulate those muscles that will be fun and not frustrating.  I have a book called “Activities for Fine Motor Skills Development” by Jodene Smith.  It is available on Amazon and you can view the inside but I got my copy from a teacher supply store.  It has hundreds of ideas that are fun, easy to do, and use supplies you have at home.  Do what you feel is best for your son regardless of our opinion or anyone else’s! 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘6 in January what to do? Grade 1 or "K"/early years’ is closed to new replies.