6 and a half yr old getting tired of handwriting

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

For those of you with a little more CM experience:

My 6 yr old tires in handwriting practice after giving about 5 minutes or less of his best effort and attempts at “perfect” execution.

I know that you are supposed to stop after your child is not able to give his/her full attention but it seems like at age 6 and a half, they should be able to do a little more. Am I expecting too much?

curlywhirly
    Participant

I would be happy with 5 minutes, assuming your child is entering first grade. I would have the goal of 10 minutes by the end of 1st grade.

suzukimom
    Participant

Personally I find a good 5 minutes of attention is good for a few years.   10 minutes of really attending to handwriting, honestly trying to do your best, is TIRING.  Even for adults.

suzukimom
    Participant

Of course, how much they can write in 5 minutes and it still be their best should be increasing as the years go

ibkim2
    Participant

My son is 7, but last year tired of handwriting quickly as well. He loved the sentences and pictures in Draw.Write.Now, but I could tell the copywork part was his least favorite part of the day. He would say he was tired after 1 long sentence I only required 2 sentence, with grace if they were longer sentences or he had more writing in his math lesson. We just started back to school 2 weeks ago. I have noticed 2 sentences aren’t as overwhelming to him now and his handwriting has improved. I plan to move him up to 3-4 sentences once we get a good flow to our day going.

Monica
    Participant

I only expect about 5 minutes out of my 7YO each time. It takes him much more time and effort to form his letters than my other kids, so he tires easily.

Alicia Hart
    Participant

thanks all – this sort of gives me a reference point

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘6 and a half yr old getting tired of handwriting’ is closed to new replies.