4-day schedule

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We are working on building SCM curriculum into a four-day schedule for a week as we do a co-op on one day.  I’ve got an 8th grader and a 1st grader working through Early Modern & Epistles and a 6th grader that joins us for the Geography and Bible days.

How would you handle this?  Should I assign the extra reading for history to my 8th grader to complete on her own, or just do one lesson a day and adjust the exam questions at the end?  What should I do with “leftover” material? Should I just continue on in Term 2 with where we left off?  By the end of the year, we’ll be missing a significant chunk of the year’s work if we do that, but I feel like adding more reading will be too much for my oldest.

I’d love to hear your thoughts!

sarah2106
    Participant

I would combine the Geography day built into the SCM history guides into one of your other days. The guides schedule history 4 days/week and geography 1 day/week. The Geography lessons do not take too long to complete, and on occasion we have done a history lesson and then a geography lesson at a different time during the school day (not back to back) and it has worked out really well for us.

As for the exam questions at the end of each term, I have always modified those a bit because our school year is required 172 days, not like the 180 days that are scheduled into the guides. It has always worked out and we have completed the lesson and done some of the exam questions (I pick and choose).

We really enjoy the SCM History guides a lot!!

fivefoll
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Do you school year round or take the summer off? We school year round and do 4 day school weeks. Our terms end once we have done 12 weeks of the work, but it takes longer. I’m ok with it taking longer to get through the material because it avoids burn out and allows for good nature walks and many other beneficial things on our 5th day. (We also use the enrichment and history guides by SCM and the individual lesson plans for their grade levels. We have ages 8,11, and 15 currently schooling formally.)</p>

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘4-day schedule’ is closed to new replies.