Topic | 4 1/2 year old wants to sew

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tia 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • LillyLou
    Participant

I have a 4 1/2 year old daughter who wants to sew-with a “real needle”.  She’s been doing sewing cards for ever so long, and she wants to tackle a project.  With my older daughter, we started with a hand stitch sampler, but she was nearly 6 when we started that- I’m not sure my 4 yo has the coordination yet.  That being said, does anyone have any ideas for *easy* sewing projects that a 4 yo can handle?  I was thinking of a scarf with just a (big) blanket stitch…

**She does have very good coordination and fine motor skills for her age-she’s been writing with a tripod hold since she was about 18months old, and has good handwriting.  I just don’t think she’s ready for anything as small as learning various stitches for a sampler yet.  Hope that all makes sense…**

Thanks all!

LillyLou

MamaSnow
    Participant

I don’t know if a plastic needle will count as a ‘real’ needle in her mind =), I but I recently picked up a little “learn to sew” kit at JoAnn’s for my dd (6, but this is her first sewing experience). It was fairly inexpensive – $6.99 maybe, although I got it with a coupon. It had precut felt pieces with little holes punched out already to stich together, so you use a blunt needle with it. The one we got is a door hangar, but there were some other things like picture frames as well. She is enjoying it and seems to me like it would be a good transition between lacing cards and a ‘real’ sewing project.

Just a thought!

Jen

jmac17
    Participant

Try this:

http://www.filthwizardry.com/2010/02/sewing-and-embroidery-for-kids-with.html

We did a picture of pumpkins last month.  I plan on drawing out some Christmas pictures for the next project.  My six year old daughter loved this project.  My 4.5 year old boy got about 6 stitches in and gave up, but he is not much for fine motor type projects.  I’m sure my daughter would have done it at 4 years old, although it would have taken more guidance.

Joanne

LillyLou
    Participant

Jen and Joanne, thank you so much for the ideas!  I may have to try bothLaughing

LillyLou

Tia

My 5 yo was the same way and my next door neighbor taught her to embroider.  She loves it and has done a couple of projects, including a pillow…

Tia

Now, she spends most of her free time knitting…you could teach her to knit?  

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Free continental USA basic shipping on orders over $75! Coupon code DECEMBER.