3 yo who wants to learn to read

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have 3 kids (DS will be 6 in Sept, DD is 3.5, and DD is 1.5). DS started reading really early (early 4 yo) and now reads at a 6th grade level. He LOVES to read, and we have to make sure he spends enough time playing rather than reading. DD3 sees how much he reads and loves it, and he reads to her, and she just really wants to learn to read herself. She is constantly asking what words say (on t-shirts, signs, the sink drain this morning). It’s exhausting! I definitely think she’s really young to learn to read, and I think CM would roll over in her grave if I asked her, but what do you guys think? She knows all letters and sounds. If I did start to teach her, it would be very laidback and interest driven. Am I nuts?

suzukimom
    Participant

I learned to read at age 3…  if she is interested, and you do it very laidback and only when she is interested (and she is doing all the outside stuff, etc) – I’d go for it.  

Shannon
    Participant

I agree with SuzukiMom. It is all about following your child. If you don’t push and only respond to her interest, you can’t go wrong. My daughter was also a very early reader (very early 3yo). She wouldn’t be stopped. Unfortunately now she doesn’t enjoy reading (she’s 13 next week!) bc her mom won’t let her read the kinds of books she wants to read (trash books). Sigh. 🙂

mama_nickles
    Participant

I am pleasantly surprised at your answers! I was afraid you all would tell me to fend her off for another 3 years. Yes, she loves her outside time, and we are definitely working on habit formation. OK, well I’ll see how it goes then!

eawerner
    Participant

My dd6 wanted to read and write at age 3 so we started very slowly and simply; ds3 has no interest in reading or writing, but (literally) was jumping up and down with excitment when his MUS Primer book came in the mail.  Again, we’ll be working slowly and simply.  I think if a child wants to learn something, and it is fun for them, you can give it a shot. 

HollyS
    Participant

I had one reading at 4, and I think my younget will be following in his footsteps!  She’s learned quite a few letter sounds already (at 3.5).  I don’t think you are nuts.  Wink  I do try to hold off on the writing when starting so young…I have them play with homemade letter flashcards or draw in sand/rice/applesauce/etc. with their finger.  

MountainMamma
    Participant

I am also relieved to hear you guys saying to follow your child’s lead and not wait…especially if they show interest and are ready. My DS who just turned 4 is eager to read. Books have always been his favorite pasttime since he could sit up and hold one. It’s wonderful to hear that we are doing the right thing. He loves it so far and is learning so fast!

HaRae
    Participant

Our son was interested shortly after he turned 3. Added to that he ended up confined to a full body cast for 8 weeks, so he had a lot of sitting time on his hands. I got the “Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons” from the library and we did about 30 lessons over the course of 2 weeks or so. After that he preferred to just read real books and we haven’t done any more formal instruction…just answering his questions or gently correcting words that he gets wrong. I think it is important that we still read aloud to him 90% or more of the time. I think children’s development really varies on this one. He is now almost 4 and reading fluently when he feels like it.

mama_nickles
    Participant

HollyS-Why hold off on writing? DD loves writing too! We don’t do anything consistent, but she asks to write her name, or a 7, or whatever. So I do it with her. She likes to “make mail” to send to people.

eawerner
    Participant

HollyS –  I certainly didn’t want to push writing and don’t feel I did.  But sand/rice/applesauce doesn’t make for a happy postal worker if the child’s goal is to write a note card that says “Dear Granny, I love you.”  😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘3 yo who wants to learn to read’ is closed to new replies.