106 Days w/ a high schooler???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Good Morning all!  I have a dd who is finishing up her 9th grade year and HATING apologia science….I mean she is memorizing for the test and still not doing that well on the test.  We have been a CM family for 14 years and I have used 106 days 3 times now.  I am using it with my 2nd and 5th graders this year.  We love it every time we do it.  My dd just took her science mid term and failed it.  But that does not surprise me because she gets zero enjoyment out of it.

Soooooo…..I was thinking about letting her do the remainder of her science year with us, and of course I’m using 106 days.  Any ideas on how to make this a bit “more” for her? Any body else ever use this with a older than 6th grader??? Living science is defiantly the way to go for this family and we learn SO MUCH MORE.  We have tried other “textbook” type sciences and they NEVER work.

I want my dd to not loose her love for learning science. Next year we are going to use The Wonder book of Chemistry, First Plant life book, a eric sloane book, and some others….but I need to finish this year with her….and just wanted to know what you wonderful women thought about that. 🙂 And any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Michelle

retrofam
    Participant

Check out Guesthollow.com for a literature approach to science.   Which science is your daughter studying now?  You could finish with literature reading lists and labs.

Melanie32
    Participant

If you really want Charlotte Mason style science, check out the Sabbath Mood Homeschool science guides. I have been trying out the samples with my 9th grade daughter and they are really good. I am pretty sure we will be using them after we finish up Apologia Biology. We’ve enjoyed our science this year but I feel that Charlotte Mason style science is so much more effective in helping our children truly form relations with what they are learning.

Here’s a link to the science guides:

http://sabbathmoodhomeschool.com/living-science-curriculum/

Here’s a link to a blog post on this topic that you might enjoy reading:

http://sabbathmoodhomeschool.com/

marmiemama
    Participant

We really enjoyed the 101 DVD series, Chemistry and Physics.  For some reason, the Biology is really, really thin.  Couldn’t use that as a year course at all, only as a supplement.

Julie Cunningham
    Participant

@marmiemama Do you think using their Body of Evidence DVDs with Biology would be enough for a year?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘106 Days w/ a high schooler???’ is closed to new replies.