106 Days of Creation Studies and Queens Discovering Nature

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I recently purchased the SCM 106 Days of Creation to use with my 7 & 5 year olds for Science next year. I was wondering if I could also use the Queens Homeschool Discovering Nature Series with it as well? Has anyone done this?

Thanks so much in advance!

sheraz
    Participant

There are several suggestions for nature study listed right in the 106 Days book to go along with the study topics.  Did you see those or is that not what you want/need?  

AFthfulJrney
    Participant

Shiraz…I guess I’m kind of thinking about using 106 Days as more of a guide for the hands on stuff when needed and all the great living book recommendations and supplementing when needed with one of the Queens guides. I’m thinking of getting Our Animal Friends for my DD who cannot get enough learning about animals and Fearfully and Wonderfully made for my son who is obsessed with all things human body right now!! I’m thinking to use each, or both, when necessary and if we don’t finish in a year, no biggie! We will just continue with it the following year! Does that sound like too much? Or crazy? 🙂

AFthfulJrney
    Participant

Oops…Sheraz…sorry! Silly auto correct! 🙂

sheraz
    Participant

Okay. That actually does make sense because I ended up doing something similar (although my kids were several years older than yours). We used 106 Days to kind of line out our topics and then I added videos, field trips, books, models, and any thing that I had (and remembered that I had) that would enhance it for us. It was lovely, and yes, it took more than one school year. 

For nature study, I just went with what was going on around us in its season. We had a few field guides to help identify things. The kids were reading Thornton Burgess books independently and I read the ones for 106 Days. It was completely fun to listen to them share their knowledge from those books as we walked. They really have learned so much from that.

I haven’t used the Queen’s materials, but I am sure that you could try it. 

I would like to make a small suggestion based on my experiences, though. I always think that I need to add to all the curriculums to make it seem more “complete’ so I buy all kinds of additional books. What happens is that I start to drag lessons out, make things way more complicated than they really need to be, and we all end up sighing when we need to do certain subjects. Sometimes it even becomes so overwhelming that I end up avoiding that lesson for a while. Voice of experience here: Charlotte Mason was all about short lessons with lots of hands-on nature study including the chance to climb, crawl, wade, etc. Don’t sell those exploring moments short. Your kids will learn FAR more than you even realize, especially at their ages. They will get the hang of nature study pretty quickly as you model what you want and praise their finds and treasures.

My real suggestion is that you try the lessons in 106 Days as written, plus reading aloud the living books about animals and their surroundings (as in the Thornton Burgess or Among the Farmyard People).  Try the walks and just teach your children to observe interesting things as you go. (Keep in mind the first few weeks of 106 Days feels somewhat lighter than the remainder!)  Iif it doesn’t seem to be working after several weeks, you can always add in the Queen’s stuff later in the year.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘106 Days of Creation Studies and Queens Discovering Nature’ is closed to new replies.