106 Days of Creation

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This guide, 106 Days of Creation, and all the books included look wonderful. I’m wondering how doable it really would be for *my* family so I’m asking from those who have used it for some feedback. I tried to do a search on the topic but it wasn’t working for me for some reason so I’m sorry if I’m duplicating.

We have five kids ages 9, 7, 4 and 22 month old twins. I have been thinking of science for next year and can’t decide. We’ve been using the AO science books for reading and narrating, which have been wonderful, but I like the idea of more picture books and interaction. On the other hand I’m just not very good at implenting science experiments and what not due to the little ones and being unorganized. I could put more effort in my organizing skills for sure.

Looking at the sample I saw the example: going outside to trace shadows with chalk and going back to check a couple times throughout the day. This sounds simple enough, but getting all the kids ready to go outside (including the toddlers of course) to do even a simple activity and to come back inside in a timely manner to resume our lessons seems a bit daunting in my season of life. What do you experienced mommas recommend? Wait a year? Do science during the twins’ naps? Thoughts?

Thanks!

HLewis
    Participant

I realize it can all be customized but I also don’t want this to be a total flop if we don’t do most or any experiments and notebooking. I’m thinking about the cupboard full of Magic School Bus experiments I haven’t done yet and feel guilty. Life with twin toddlers can be challenging and unpredictable. 🙂

sarah2106
    Participant

For us experiments get easier over the years. This is the first year we have really committed to and completed most of the experiments suggested. My oldest is in 7th grade and she is doing Apologia General Science on her own and I am doing Apologia Exploring Chemistry and Physics with the 5th and 2nd grader. Each year we have done some experiments but each year do more than the previous year. There is plenty of time for experiments, and with younger kids I find just being outside is fantastic way to spark nature and science conversations.

I find doing science after lunch actually works great. Full tummies and if need to go outside it can turn into nature exploring, even just around the yard. When the kids were younger the little one would nap and we could spend more time with out rushing and sometimes the best way to get a nap was to bundle him up and head out for a nature walk and science fun even on cooler days

I have not used 106 Days of Creation, but it looks really good. The book selections look really enjoyable. We have not use any AO suggestions but use many SCM resources and have been very happy with all the book choices. What drew me to SCM over AO was the type of books, especially for the younger years. Having a variety, including picture books, is a great way to bring all the children together. Even my older ones enjoy a lovely picture book, many suggested by SCM, and pick them up often to read for fun.

HLewis
    Participant

Thank you for your encouraging and helpful reply. I ordered 106 Days of Creation and we’ll have some fun and do our best on what we can. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘106 Days of Creation’ is closed to new replies.