106 Days Error?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I love 106 Days of Creation.  However, on lesson 38 of my edition it explains that we have the seasons because of the earth’s distance from the sun during its orbit.  It says that when the earth is farther away we have winter, and when we are closer to the sun we have summer.  I believe the earth is actually closer to the sun during our winter in the Northern Hemisphere and farther away during summer.  The seasons are due to the earth’s tilt towards and away from the sun.  Am I wrong about this?  Has anyone found any other errors in this curriculum?  I am not a science expert, so I would like to confidently rely on what I read in each lesson.

Shelby
    Participant

I haven’t personally used 106 Days (although,we would like to), so I couldn’t say whether the rest of the guide is accurate. However, my children and I have been studying the weather this term using All About the Weather by Ivan Ray Tannehill, a living science/nature book. In his book, the author states that the earth is closer to the sun in the winter, the orbit of the earth around the sun is slightly off center, and the seasons relate to the tilt of the earth, not the distance of the earth from the sun. He goes on to say that if the earth were tilted towards the sun during the winter months, the winter months would be much warmer than our current summer months actually are.

Karen Smith

Yes, that would be an error in the book. Thanks for pointing it out to us. The only other error I’m aware of in the book is that spiders are grouped with insects, but we address that issue on our Links and Tips page for 106 Days of Creation Studies. 

Courtney
    Participant

Thanks so much.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘106 Days Error?’ is closed to new replies.