10 Books

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So there is this thing going around on Facebook right now, which I thought would be great to do over here.  The rules are super simple.  Pick any 10 books.  No rules or guidelines on which books you pick.  And then explain why you picked them.  

Here is my list:

1. Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown – Once my kids hit about 3, it becomes a favorite of theirs. I love pouring over the illustrations with the kids and finding where the mouse is hiding, what time it is, where the moon moved too, etc.
    2. From Head to Toe by Eric Carle – Because Mom let me skip school one day to go meet Eric Carl, and he taught me to draw a star, and it was a highlight of my life.
    3. The book of Psalms – My favorite Old Testament writings
    4. The book of Ephesians – 5:21 is our marriage verse  
    5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte – I can and have read this over and over and over. It never gets old. Picking up this book is like getting together with an old friend.
    6. Love comes softly series by Janette Oke – This series kept me sane during my first experience of bedrest, and now I actually look forward to bedrest because that means I get to re-read this whole series from start to finish
    7. The Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder – The Long Winter is my favorite in the series, but I love each and every book, and I love how I identify with different characters in different stages in my life or have a different perspective of Laura as I’ve grown up.
    8. Watership Down by Richard Adams – In 7th grade, my friend Melissa  said, “Hey, I read this really great book about rabbits. I think you’ll like it.” I was skeptical at best. But I devoured it. And then became a book pusher trying to get anyone who could read to read this. I remember succeeding with my friend Jenise and having discussions about the book in Technology, because, really…. who thought it was a good idea for me to take Technology?
    9. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte – I read this after watching the BBC adaption of it with my friend Kathy and bawling our eyes out on my den couch. Turns out I enjoy Emily’s work just as much as Charlotte’s.
    10. All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor – I don’t remember how I came across this gem, but it is always the first book I read with my kids when they officially hit 1st grade. I’m re-reading it for the 3rd time with Ephraim, and I love it as much as I did when I read it for the first time with Nathaniel. I love how when the older two realize I’m reading it, they’ll stop doing their schoolwork to listen in because they love revisiting with the characters just as much as I do.

missceegee
    Participant

Love this and will add when at computer and not on phone.

Janell
    Participant

Ten Books

1. The Baron’s Booty by Virginia Kahl

One of my favorite pictures books about a Baron kidnapping the Duke and Duchess’s thirteen daughters in order to collect ransom treasures. The Duke and Duchess enjoy their break from their wonderfully active girls while the Baron, who is now surrounded by these mischievious wee ones, begs the Duke and Duchess to take them back.

2. The Chestry Oak by Kate Seredy

This is such a beautifully written story about a boy surrounded by uncertainty during WWII yet certain of his father’s love and his Nana’s words. I found a copy in a library two counties away and then purchased my own for $60. Yes, it was worth the expense.

3. The Little Britches by Ralph Moody

This is an unforgettable book and the door into Ralph Moody’s childhood which was filled with family trials and family values. I am thankful for Ralph’s parents’ example of what sacrifice looks like. The entire series is great.

4. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

This this one of my most read books. I especially remember the time I read it on my flight back from Germany just days after visiting Dachau Concentration Camp.

5. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

I forced myself to finish this book only to discover that it is very, um, amazing.

6. God’s Smuggler by Brother Andrew

This is the manual for prayer and trusting God to meet your every need. My husband and I were greatly impacted by this book.

7. For the Children’s Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay

I was recommended this book by a veteran homeschooling mama in 2002. My homeschool journey began that year with my oldest child. How I am so blessed to have had a basic understanding of Charlotte Mason’s educational methods early. I immediately purchaed a boxed set of her original writings that year too.

8. Stepping Heavenward by Elisabeth Prentiss

This is my number one favorite book. I love the journal style of this book that describes the spiritual growth a young woman. The last line of this book is a motto for life.

9. Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

This is the book that made me lose an entire night’s sleep. I just couldn’t put it down.

10. The Book of Romans

My husband and I both received Christ’s salvation after traveling the Romans Road. I was nineteen years old.

RobinP
    Participant

1. The Chestry Oak by Kate Seredy – one of the greatest books ever. I have three copies.

2. A Tree for Peter by Kate Seredy – another best book ever. I have three copies.

3. The Open Gate by Kate Seredy – are you seeing a pattern?

4. Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morely – what I would love to do if I didn’t “peddle” my books from home

5. Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ramsome – the wonderful read aloud we finished yesterday

6. The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting – the wonderful read aloud we started today

7. The Winged Watchman by Hilda van Stockum – one of the living books I use in my living book seminars as an example of the perfect living book.

8. Streams of Civilization – one of the examples I use in my living book seminars of what, in my opinion, a living book is not.

9. Charlotte Mason six volumes – profoundly impacted my life

10. The Word of the Living God – the only true Living Book. For the Word of God is LIVING…

Sue
    Participant

How fun! Better than having to do that ice bucket challenge thing my daughter saw on facebook. Maybe I should let someone toss 10 books on my head instead of a bucket of ice water….

It’s really late, but I’ll sleep on it & get back to you with my list of 10.

Wings2fly
    Participant

Oh, thank you for posting this. This will be fun. I think I am going to post 10 Toys. Maybe that will help us narrow down ours.

1. Book of Proverbs.

I love to read these and my children and I discuss them.

2. Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn.

I read these as a young teen and they are what made me realize that just because I went to church, it didn’t mean I was saved. At age 13, I said a sinner’ s prayer in my bedroom.

3. Are You My Mother?

Favorite childhood book.

4. Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson.

Our favorite bedtime story…still.

5. Complete collection of Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne.

Found memories of reading these to my children and them acting out the stories in play. We love the poetry too.

6. Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter.

We got to reading these a little later, but 10 yo son still loves them, though he denies it now. He read the whole book on his own the second time this past summer. And we watched the Miss Potter movie recently and all enjoyed it. I love her illustrations. Dd7 wants to be a writer too.

7. Seasons of a Mother’s Heart.

My first book I read by Sally Clarkson and gave me a new perspective on motherhood. I have read more of her books since, but nothing as good as this first one I read.

8. Book of John.

What I read when I re-dedicated and it really came alive for me.

9. Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman.

This book is changing how I see food and what I fix for my family to eat. Many more fruits, vegetables, and beans…less cheese and meat.

10. The Ivan series by Myrna Grant.

These are the books we read when we are off from school, just for fun. We have read two so far as a family read aloud and I look forward to the next one. They are exciting adventures and have opened up much discussion with my children.

I would have posted sooner, but had to give it some thought first. Thank you all for sharing how books live in your lives.

Sue
    Participant

Okay, my 10 books (in no particular order):

1. Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel by Virgina Lee Burton. This was the first book we read together for literature when I began to teach many subjects as a family. Of course, I hadn’t yet discovered Charlotte Mason, so we were using KONOS unit studies, but it was so much fun to read to all 3 of them together.

2. Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner. One of our favorite lunchtime read-alouds, I was having a hormonal moment and found myself in tears as I read the part about the end of the race. (“And he….*sniff*….picked up the dog….*sniff*….and carried him toward….*sniff, sniff*….the finish line….*sob, sob, sob*….) My kids were just staring at me with strange looks on their faces.

3. Rascal by Sterling North. Our first CM literature read-aloud, a few years back. Every time we see a racoon in the park, one of us cries out, “Rascal!”

4. The Book of Esther (Old Testament). Who can resist the story of a brave woman? “And if I perish, I perish!”

5. The Book of Psalms (Old Testament). Lots of good stuff there, especially praise & worship.

6. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I just picked this up again because my daughter will be reading it sometime this year. Just reading the name Pip in the first chapter takes me back to the summer of my 14th year, when I laid out in our backyard on a blanket reading this book.

7. Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter. Loved reading the book, then watching the movie on The Wonderful World of Disney….and then, loved watching the movie again with my daughters after they read the book.

8. A Woman Named Damaris by Janette Oke. I really love all of Janette Oke’s book series, but this one is especially captivating as she searches for her name in the Bible and discovers more than she expected along the way.

9. The Messies Manual by Sandra Felton. I really needed this book….’nuff said.

10. An Amish Garden: A Year in the Life of an Amish Garden by Laura Anne Lapp. I just finished reading this book. Written by an Amish woman, the pictures of their home and garden are beautiful, her details about gardening tips and canning are inspirational, and her three little boys are really cute. (Amish children are allowed to be photographed somewhat because they have not yet officially joined the church, while the adults have to be photographed so as to avoid showing their faces.)

So, there you have it! Ask me again in a couple of months and you’ll probably get a totally different list.

BlessedMommy
    Participant

Some are family favorites and some of personal favorites of mine…

1.) Peter Rabbit

2.) Good Night Moon

3.) Care Bears – I have the vintage original series, I love the little lessons each book teaches

4.) Little Things

5.) The Oak & The Acorn

6.) I Am Regina (I have read this 5-6 times, I always thought it should be made into a movie and they finally did!  I can’t wait to see Alone, Yet Not Alone because the movie is about Regina & her family.) 

7.)  Chronicals of Narnia

8.)  The Jenie McGrady Mystery Series (These were a big favorite of mine as a young teen – Like a Christian Nancy Drew…who I also loved to read).

9.)  Where The Sidewalk Ends & Falling Up

10.)  The Princess & The White Bear King (such an enchanting story)

I wish I could add lot’s of amazing living books to my list but, by the end of this year I will be able to.  🙂

BlessedMommy
    Participant

I mean “Chronicles” of Narnia!

Shannon
    Participant

I was totally not expecting that ending in Stone Fox and I was crying too, Sue!  Rascal stays with me as a book I can’t wait to read again, but must wait some time since it hasn’t been that long.  I’m reading The Chestry Oak with my 14yo now. Yeah!!

1) This Dear-Bought Land – to me, this is a perfect historical book

2) Gentle Ben – wonderful story of a boy’s pet brown bear, not that dissimilar to Rascal except it isn’t true

3) Silence on the Mountain – about the Guatemalan civil war

4) Moll Flanders

5) The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict

6) The Power of Habit

7) The Black Falcon, A Tale from the Decameron

8) The Book of Indians by Holling C Holling (current read) 

9) How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare (current read)

10) Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

Kayla
    Participant

1. Little house Series- I have learned more about history from these than I did in school

2. Harry Potter Series- I could read them over and over they were part of growing up

3. Mutiny on the Bounty- It took me a long time to get through but it is truly an amazing story

4. Mark of the Lion trilogy (Francine rivers)- I love historical fiction

5. Bible- I mean it is my hand book for life!

6. Roxaboxen- makes me cry every time. I can only hope for my kids to have play like I did growing up.

And I’m drawing a blank right now for the rest. But 3 of the ones I listed make 20 books so…

mrsmccardell
    Participant

My amazon wish list just got longer!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘10 Books’ is closed to new replies.