1 book at a time or multiple?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have question for y’all. I know Charlotte advocated spending time with an author and really ruminating on the ideas in the writing. My question is what is the best way to accomplish this. Reading one book daily, or multiple books? For example my 8th grader is reading Little Women, The Yanks are Coming and a Churchill biography. In order to finish the books in the time I have given she needs to read about 12 pages a day. Would Charlotte

a) split these up so she reads say 12 pages a day of Little Women till complete, then start the next book

b) read 12 pages a day but read in 3 books each day, say 4 pages a day in each book or

c) read 12 pages of Little Women Monday, 12 pages of the Yanks are coming Tuesday, etc.

I know a lot depends on my own preference and how my daughter best digests information, but I would love some opinions.

I am kinda thinking of this schedule:

Mon – Yanks are Coming, 1 chapter

Tues, Wed, Thurs – Churchill

Mon – Fri – Little Women, one chapter, letting this last for the rest of the year

let me know what you think.

HollyS
    Participant

C would be the most CM friendly pacing.  I like to stop at the end of a chapter or another good stopping place, which would be about 12 pages (more or less).  Having days off between readings gives them time to dwell on the readings.  The only book we read everyday is our family literature read aloud, currently The Fellowship of the Ring.  They usually have two history books going (one for world history and one for American history).  Plus our family readings and spines.  We usually have a Shakespeare play going (once a week) as well as a few other books (citizenship, geography, science, etc).  Some of my kids will have a free read or two as well, but these aren’t scheduled at all.

Your schedule looks fine to me!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘1 book at a time or multiple?’ is closed to new replies.