Here is one way to combine the various Family Enrichment studies. Use these ideas as is or as a starting point. Add your selected history time period books and grade-level math, science, and language arts to complete your year’s plan.
Scripture Memory: Verse Pack 1
The memory verses packs, which contain about fifty verses each, are designed to be learned and recited together as a family. Our Scripture Memory System gives tips on how to easily memorize and review any verses you want to use. We also have the verse packs available in a free download of printable verse cards.
Proverbs 4:20, 21
Mark 12:30, 31
John 13:34, 35
1 Corinthians 10:31
1 Thessalonians 5:18
1 Timothy 6:6
1 Peter 4:8
1 John 1:8, 9
Literature: Book Group 1
Select one level to read aloud: younger, middle, or older. Use the links below to view all the books in a group in the CM Bookfinder for easy scheduling in our CM Organizer. You can also see our suggestions for where to find the books.
Younger Students (Grades 1–4)
- Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White
- All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor
- The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne
- Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater
- Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Middle Students (Grades 5–8)
- The Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan
- Bambi: A Life in the Woods by Felix Salten
- The Story of the Treasure Seekers by E. Nesbit
- Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
- My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
Older Students (Grades 9–12)
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
- The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien
- The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien
- The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
- The Innocence of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton
Poetry: Robert Louis Stevenson
Read Stevenson’s poems for several weeks (six at least). If possible, read a short, interesting biography about him as well. During the other weeks of the year, simply read a variety of poems and enjoy them together. Our Enjoy the Poems series makes it simple to continue with Stevenson’s poems for an entire year.
Picture Study: Velazquez, Constable, Rembrandt
Our Picture Study Portfolios make it simple to get to know these new friends.
Handicrafts & Art: Hand Sewing, Pastels, Crochet
Our Handicrafts Made Simple video series is a good resource to help your children (and you) learn a new-to-you handicraft. Creating a Masterpiece teaches several different media (pastel, pencil drawing, ink, sculpture, watercolor, acrylic painting) on several levels.
- Term 1: Handicrafts Made Simple: Hand Sewing
- Term 2: Creating a Masterpiece: Pastels
- Term 3: Handicrafts Made Simple: Crochet
Music Study: Bach, Chopin, Beethoven
Listen to pieces by the composer for several weeks until the children become familiar with that composer’s style. If possible, read or listen to a short biography about that composer sometime during your study of his work. Our Music Study with the Masters portfolios make it simple to get to know these great composers.
Hymn Study: Hymn Group 1
Sing the hymn together until all of the family members have learned every stanza. If you learn one hymn every six weeks or so, you will be able to cover six in a school year. Singing the Great Hymns includes all of these hymns, along with audio recordings, to make hymn study simple.
- I Sing the Mighty Power of God
- Great Is Thy Faithfulness
- To God Be the Glory
- Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
- Crown Him with Many Crowns
- O Come, All Ye Faithful
Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Personal Development: Laying Down the Rails
Laying Down the Rails: A Charlotte Mason Habits Handbook and Laying Down the Rails for Children: A Habit-Training Companion will help your whole family focus on cultivating good habits one at a time.
Foreign Language: Speaking [Spanish] with Miss Mason and Francois
Each volume from Cherrydale Press is designed to last several years. Work as a family at your own pace with your language of choice.
Here is one way to spread the feast throughout a week, including your selected History/Geography/Bible study and math, science, and language arts for individual students. Click any subject below for more details.
Our Enrichment Studies, Volume 1, will give you day-by-day lessons using the resources above.