In the teaching of math, Charlotte Mason believed that everything that can be demonstrated, should be demonstrated; or, in her words, “demonstrate everything demonstrable” (Vol. 1, p. 255).
There is something about a hands-on demonstration that clarifies and cements the concepts in your mind, that helps you better understand the details. This is true whether you are learning math concepts or learning how to teach math concepts. Math especially “lives” with hands-on demonstrations.
So we are excited to announce a new resource that demonstrates Charlotte Mason’s living math techniques: Charlotte Mason’s Living Math: A Guided Journey DVD set! Now you can see and hear live demonstrations of how Charlotte wanted early arithmetic to be taught in a practical, life-related way—from introducing numbers to working with fractions.
With this 2-DVD set you will
- See how Charlotte Mason infused math lessons with living ideas.
- Learn how to teach elementary arithmetic without an expensive curriculum, or gather ideas to supplement your curriculum of choice.
- Discover how short, focused math lessons can reinforce good habits.
- Gain confidence to guide your student in steady math progress at his own pace.
Earlier this year Richele Baburina, author of Mathematics: An Instrument for Living Teaching, sat down with Sonya and worked through sample lessons step by step for teaching
- Notation and Place Value,
- Simple Addition,
- Addition with Larger Numbers,
- Advanced Multiplication,
- Mental Arithmetic,
- and Paper Sloyd.
From those hands-on demonstrations, now available on DVD, you will gain valuable techniques to help your child enjoy a solid understanding of math. As you are guided through Charlotte Mason’s approach step by step, you will be equipped to guide your own student down the same path, one confident step after another, demonstrating everything that can be demonstrated and enjoying the journey together.