Study Biblical and ancient history together as a family!
This older First Edition of the handbook uses the Oxford First Ancient History book in some of its lessons for grades 7–9. That book has recently gone out of print. You can easily substitute two other books in its place. (See the Links and Tips tab above for details.) We are in the process of revising this handbook for those who cannot get or do not want to use the Oxford book. The new edition will incorporate the recommended substitute books, use a different spine, feature new geography lessons, and include other suggestions from our readers. We hope to have the new edition available summer 2013, and you can see a list of the resources we will be recommending for that revision. We will continue to make this First Edition available as an e-book even after the new Second Edition is published, so you will be able to use whichever set of lesson plans works best for your family.
Another helpful resource in our popular six-book series, this book of lesson plans walks your family through the accounts of Joshua to the end of the Old Testament events, including a study of Ancient Greece and the geography of the Middle East. It details Scripture passages, living books, Book of Centuries entries, narration ideas, geography ideas, additional assignments for older students, and optional hands-on activities to help you save time and foster learning for all your students, grades 1–12.
- Saves Time—Combines all students, grades 1–12, in a family study.
- Charlotte Mason in Its Approach—Incorporates Bible study, living books, narration, Book of Centuries, and geography.
- Biblical Emphasis—Covers the events of Joshua through Malachi and approaches geography from a Biblical worldview.
- Comprehensive—Provides additional assignments for older students, including Book of Centuries entries, written narration ideas, and extra independent reading.
- Fun—Gives optional hands-on activities that you can do all together or with only some of your students.
- Complete—Details lesson plans for a full year of history, Bible, and geography studies.
- Helpful—Includes handy tips and reminders of upcoming resources so you have time to collect them.
The Joshua through Malachi & Ancient Greece study recommends these SCM resources:
- Wisdom for Life: A Proverbs Bible Study (grades 7–12)
- Discovering Doctrine: A Personal Bible Study (grades 7–12)
Our History, Geography, and Bible Series
With our six-book series, you will cover the entire Bible, learn history from ancient to modern, and study all the main regions of the world!