Study Biblical and ancient history together as a family!
Help your students see how Bible events fit into history! This handbook, first in our popular Family Study Handbook series, walks you through the accounts of Adam to Moses, including a study of Ancient Egypt so students will get a picture of the world Joseph and Moses lived in. It details Scripture passages, living books, Book of Centuries entries, narration ideas, geography ideas, additional assignments for older students, and optional hands-on activities to help you save time and foster learning for all your students.
- Saves Time—Combines all students, grades 1–12, in a family study.
- Charlotte Mason in Its Approach—Incorporates Bible study, living books, narration, Book of Centuries, and geography.
- Biblical Emphasis—Covers the events of Genesis through Deuteronomy and approaches Ancient Egypt from a Biblical worldview.
- Comprehensive—Provides additional assignments for older students, including Book of Centuries entries, written narration ideas, and extra independent reading.
- Fun—Gives several optional hands-on activities that you can do all together or with only some of your students.
- Recommended—Listed as a suggested resource in the SCM Curriculum Guide. Gives the detailed lesson plans for History/Geography/Bible Module 1 and shows how all the books fit together for all the grades.
- Complete—Details lesson plans for a full year of history, Bible, and geography studies.
- Helpful—Includes handy tips and reminders of upcoming resources so you have time to collect them.
Please Note: This edition of the handbook uses the Oxford First Ancient History book in several of its lessons. That book has recently gone out of print. You can easily substitute Ancient Egypt and Her Neighbors in its place. (See the Links and Tips tab above for details.) We are in the process of revising this handbook for those who cannot get or do not want to use the Oxford book. The new edition will incorporate Ancient Egypt and Her Neighbors, feature new geography lessons, and include other suggestions from our readers. We hope to have the new edition available before fall 2013, and you can see a list of the resources we will be recommending for that revision. We will continue to make this current edition available as an e-book even after the new edition is published, so you will be able to use whichever set of lesson plans works best for your family.
The Genesis through Deuteronomy & Ancient Egypt study recommends these SCM resources:
- Ancient Egypt and Her Neighbors is the alternate Family read-aloud that can easily replace the now out-of-print Oxford First Ancient History listed in the lesson plans
- Boy of the Pyramids (grades 1–3)
- Letters from Egypt (grades 3–12)
- Jashub’s Journal: An Old Testament Law Story and Bible Study (grades 7–12)
- Discovering Doctrine: A Personal Bible Study (grades 7–12)