My dh had a call today asking him to interview with another company. He has a better than average shot at being offered the job. He has been unhappy in his current posiiton for the last couple of years and really feels it's time for a change. If he were to be offered the job there would still be a lot of considerations to be made. For starters, he would have a daily commute of an hour each way. Well, he has that now most of the time, but his official office is local, so he has access to a company vehicle to make the trip. If he were to take this other job he would have to pay for his own transportation costs and we'd need a second vehicle. The new company offers great benefits, over-time and significantly higher salaries. (His current company doesn't pay over-time, he's suppossed to get time-off in lieu of, but it never seems to work out that he gets it all. Right now he has over 90 hours that he needs to take off before the end of September and three weeks of vacation left. He has his vacation booked, but they've changed it three times on him. With their current schedule and with them planning to send him to Newfoundland for a week and a half in mid August, I just can't see how he can possibly take that much time off.) If he does take it, we would eventually have to decide if I give up my job and sell the house to move closer, but the cost of housing goes up significantly the closer you get to the city. So, would we really save anything other than drive time? Cross that bridge when we come to it...
Knowing how dh has struggled these last few years, I'd really like to see him have the choice to take the other job, so I guess I am praying for him to have a successful interview, and then for wisdom to make the right decision if he is offered the position. I know he could really use the boost in morale. I know he'd love to be able to walk into his boss's office next week and say "I've been offered this, this is what needs to happen if you want me to stay with this company". I know they'll go into panic mode.
The problem is that in our area there are only so many opportunites. If we were willing to move to a bigger market like Southern Ontario or Vancouver or Calgary, I'm sure he'd have his choice of opportunities, but we aren't. Lately he's been offered internal opportunities, but we choose to reject both for a combintion of reasons. This has resulted in watching a young man that he trained -- who has half the knowledge and experience -- getting a position my dh really wanted because a stipulation of the job was to live in the HRM. At the salary they were offering, barely more than what he's making now, we couldn't make that move without me finding full-time work. Meanwhile, he's still making the commute daily anyway, and doesn't forsee that ever changing.
So, thanks for "listening". We don't want to mention the opportunity to family or neighbours just yet, but I felt I needed to "talk" about it to someone!